• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan
    Post Thanks / Like

Default scar decoration?

"Women of all cultures have recognized the potential of the arms and hands for decoration. This has included permanent marks, such as scarring and tattoos, which are often used to define a woman's status."

I'd like to make sure if this "scarring" refers to the mark left by injuries.
    I don't understand why scars can define a woman's status and how they can be a kind of decoration.

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: scar decoration?

Quote Originally Posted by Eway View Post
    "Women of all cultures have recognized the potential of the arms and hands for decoration. This has included permanent marks, such as scarring and tattoos, which are often used to define a woman's status."

I don't understand why scars can define a woman's status and how they can be a kind of decoration.
    Yes, but they're cosmetic injuries Some cultures are like that.

b

Eway is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan
    Post Thanks / Like

Could you tell me what "cosmetic injuries" are? What kind of status of a woman do they imply?

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Could you tell me what "cosmetic injuries" are? What kind of status of a woman do they imply?
    They're injuries made deliberately, for a decorative reason. I'm not an anthropologist, but I know there are tribes in Melanesia that deliberately scar their faces. (For that matter, body-piercing is practised much nearer to home.)

Not being an anthropologist I can't tell you about what status is involved. But I could imagine a system in which a woman with no scars was available for marriage; one scar -> married, but no children; two scars - married with one child... and so on. Note: This is an imaginary system!

b
    Last edited by BobK; 12-Oct-2006 at 10:59. Reason: Clarify punctuation

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.randafricanart.com/Scarif..._cultures.html

There's an explanation here (scroll down past all the photos to find the essay). Or if you don't want to see the pictures, I've quoted the relevant part below.

Scarification is a long and painful process, and a permanent modification of the body, transmitting complex messages about identity and social status. Permanent body markings emphasise fixed social, political and religious roles. Facial scarification in West Africa is used for identification of ethnic groups, families, individuals, but also to express personal beauty. It is also performed on girls to mark stages of the life process, such as puberty, marriage etc. They can assist in making them more attractive to men, as the scars are regarded as appealing to touch as well as to look at, but also as testimony that women will be able to withstand the pain of childbirth.

MikeNewYork is online now VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I would have used "scars" instead of "scarring" to agree with "tattoos".