Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

    • Join Date: Nov 2004
    • Posts: 39
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    Various questions about CHILDREN's stuff...

    Hi!

    These are hard to find in the regular dictionaries. Or at least, I have no luck!

    • When they build a fort from snow to throw snowballs at each other and hide behind the fortifications, do you call these SNOW FORTS?
    • What is the word for a "stuffed" (there you go... tsk tsk) winter's clothing in one piece with a zip at the front, that keeps kids warm when they play outside in the winter?
    • What is the word for a less warm one, that has the main feature that it's water proof? I'm in both cases NOT talking about a jacket and a pair of trousers, but ONE... suit, or what ever)
    • Is there a separate word for a tiny spade that children use when playing in the snow or the sand? -One that is less than a foot long.
    • What do you call a wooden square, half a foot high, filled with sand, for kids to play in? A sandbox?
    • And the last one: Can you list the different words for different types of hats or head-clothing(!!!)? I'm talking knitted / to keep warm / to keep dry / to cover the ears / with a round ball of knitting wool on top - or what ever types have you..?


    Very silly questions, but I have given up on finding out these every day issues through books and the net-based dictionaries around. Thankful if you can help!

    Regards.

  1. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 16,117
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: Various questions about CHILDREN's stuff...

    Quote Originally Posted by Deen View Post
    Hi!

    These are hard to find in the regular dictionaries. Or at least, I have no luck!
    • When they build a fort from snow to throw snowballs at each other and hide behind the fortifications, do you call these SNOW FORTS?
    • What is the word for a "stuffed" (there you go... tsk tsk) winter's clothing in one piece with a zip at the front, that keeps kids warm when they play outside in the winter?
    • What is the word for a less warm one, that has the main feature that it's water proof? I'm in both cases NOT talking about a jacket and a pair of trousers, but ONE... suit, or what ever)
    • Is there a separate word for a tiny spade that children use when playing in the snow or the sand? -One that is less than a foot long.
    • What do you call a wooden square, half a foot high, filled with sand, for kids to play in? A sandbox?
    • And the last one: Can you list the different words for different types of hats or head-clothing(!!!)? I'm talking knitted / to keep warm / to keep dry / to cover the ears / with a round ball of knitting wool on top - or what ever types have you..?

    Very silly questions, but I have given up on finding out these every day issues through books and the net-based dictionaries around. Thankful if you can help!

    Regards.
    1. Yes, we call them snow forts.
    2. If you mean a one-piece garment, I would call it a snow suit.
    3. Rain suit
    4. We call them shovels.
    5. Yes, sandbox.
    6. There are many different kinds of hats and different words to describe them: hat, cap, tam, fedora, stetson, cowboy hat, toque, stocking cap, baseball cap, Panama hat, boater, bonnet, bowler, chapeau, skimmer, sombrero, stove pipe hat, straw hat, ten-gallon hat, top hat, beret, bonnet


    • Join Date: Nov 2004
    • Posts: 39
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: Various questions about CHILDREN's stuff...

    Thanks! GREAT!

    And that last point... PHEW!!! But at least now I have words I can google or something and see what kind of hat comes up!

    Wonderful, thanks again!!

  2. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 15,854
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Smile Re: Various questions about CHILDREN's stuff...

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    2. If you mean a one-piece garment, I would call it a snow suit.
    When I was young, we still used garments designed during the war (WW2), to put on hurriedly over pyjamas when going to a (cold) air-raid shelter. They were called "siren suits"; but I haven't heard this expression for many years.

    In the context of winter sports, BE has borrowed the French word, salopettes.

    If coldness isn't a problem "dungarees".

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post

    4. We call them shovels.
    And we call them spades.

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    6. There are many different kinds of hats and different words to describe them: hat, cap, tam, fedora, stetson, cowboy hat, toque, stocking cap, baseball cap, Panama hat, boater, bonnet, bowler, chapeau, skimmer, sombrero, stove pipe hat, straw hat, ten-gallon hat, top hat, beret, bonnet
    To add to Mike's list:

    beanie, bobble-hat, deer-stalker, flat hat, Homburg, opera-hat, pork-pie hat, trilby, - even biretta, soutane, and mitre (if it's not cheating to get ecclesiastical)


    b

    ps Another hat
    sou'wester - a waterproof hat, often yellow (worn by Christopher Robin in the Disney Pooh). It's so-called because, in the British Isles, it's winds from the SW that tend to bring rain.
    Last edited by BobK; 16-Oct-2006 at 15:12. Reason: 1 Fix typo; 2 Add ps


    • Join Date: Nov 2004
    • Posts: 39
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: Various questions about CHILDREN's stuff...

    MORE?!

    You people must really love to specify exactly what kind of hat your children wear!!!

  3. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 16,117
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: Various questions about CHILDREN's stuff...

    Quote Originally Posted by Deen View Post
    Thanks! GREAT!

    And that last point... PHEW!!! But at least now I have words I can google or something and see what kind of hat comes up!

    Wonderful, thanks again!!
    You're welcome.

    Lots of hats, eh?

  4. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 16,117
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: Various questions about CHILDREN's stuff...

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    When I was young, we still used garments designed during the war (WW2), to put on hurriedly over pyjamas when going to a (cold) air-raid shelter. They were called "siren suits"; but I haven't heard this expression for many years.
    Sadly, I understand the context in which "siren suit" developed.

    In the context of winter sports, BE has borrowed the French word, salopettes.

    If coldness isn't a problem "dungarees".
    Here, "dungarees" would be denim jeans.


    And we call them spades.
    You Brits are sooooooo difficult.



    To add to Mike's list:

    beanie, bobble-hat, deer-stalker, flat hat, Homburg, opera-hat, pork-pie hat, trilby, - even biretta, soutane, and mitre (if it's not cheating to get ecclesiastical)


    b

    ps Another hat
    sou'wester - a waterproof hat, often yellow (worn by Christopher Robin in the Disney Pooh). It's so-called because, in the British Isles, it's winds from the SW that tend to bring rain.
    Good ones.


    • Join Date: Nov 2004
    • Posts: 39
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: Various questions about CHILDREN's stuff...

    Indeed! I'll write a book about it when I go on pension (hope that's what you call it...)

  5. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 16,117
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

    Re: Various questions about CHILDREN's stuff...

    Quote Originally Posted by Deen View Post
    MORE?!

    You people must really love to specify exactly what kind of hat your children wear!!!
    In fairness, most of these hats would not be worn by children.


    • Join Date: Nov 2004
    • Posts: 39
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #10

    Re: Various questions about CHILDREN's stuff...


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Childrens or Children's
    By nickpeake in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 18-Apr-2006, 16:44
  2. Many questions.....
    By sula54 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-Nov-2005, 12:18
  3. Proofread plus long list of questions
    By HaraKiriBlade in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 27-Jun-2005, 15:46
  4. questions about word usage
    By billy in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-Jul-2004, 21:54

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •