Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

• Post Thanks / Like

Various questions about CHILDREN's stuff...

Hi!

These are hard to find in the regular dictionaries. Or at least, I have no luck!

• When they build a fort from snow to throw snowballs at each other and hide behind the fortifications, do you call these SNOW FORTS?
    • What is the word for a "stuffed" (there you go... tsk tsk) winter's clothing in one piece with a zip at the front, that keeps kids warm when they play outside in the winter?
    • What is the word for a less warm one, that has the main feature that it's water proof? I'm in both cases NOT talking about a jacket and a pair of trousers, but ONE... suit, or what ever)
    • Is there a separate word for a tiny spade that children use when playing in the snow or the sand? -One that is less than a foot long.
    • What do you call a wooden square, half a foot high, filled with sand, for kids to play in? A sandbox?
    • And the last one: Can you list the different words for different types of hats or head-clothing(!!!)? I'm talking knitted / to keep warm / to keep dry / to cover the ears / with a round ball of knitting wool on top - or what ever types have you..?

Very silly questions, but I have given up on finding out these every day issues through books and the net-based dictionaries around. Thankful if you can help!

Regards.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Various questions about CHILDREN's stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Deen View Post
    Hi!

These are hard to find in the regular dictionaries. Or at least, I have no luck!
    • When they build a fort from snow to throw snowballs at each other and hide behind the fortifications, do you call these SNOW FORTS?
    • What is the word for a "stuffed" (there you go... tsk tsk) winter's clothing in one piece with a zip at the front, that keeps kids warm when they play outside in the winter?
    • What is the word for a less warm one, that has the main feature that it's water proof? I'm in both cases NOT talking about a jacket and a pair of trousers, but ONE... suit, or what ever)
    • Is there a separate word for a tiny spade that children use when playing in the snow or the sand? -One that is less than a foot long.
    • What do you call a wooden square, half a foot high, filled with sand, for kids to play in? A sandbox?
    • And the last one: Can you list the different words for different types of hats or head-clothing(!!!)? I'm talking knitted / to keep warm / to keep dry / to cover the ears / with a round ball of knitting wool on top - or what ever types have you..?

Very silly questions, but I have given up on finding out these every day issues through books and the net-based dictionaries around. Thankful if you can help!

Regards.
    1. Yes, we call them snow forts.
    2. If you mean a one-piece garment, I would call it a snow suit.
    3. Rain suit
    4. We call them shovels.
    5. Yes, sandbox.
    6. There are many different kinds of hats and different words to describe them: hat, cap, tam, fedora, stetson, cowboy hat, toque, stocking cap, baseball cap, Panama hat, boater, bonnet, bowler, chapeau, skimmer, sombrero, stove pipe hat, straw hat, ten-gallon hat, top hat, beret, bonnet

• Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! GREAT!

And that last point... PHEW!!! But at least now I have words I can google or something and see what kind of hat comes up!

Wonderful, thanks again!!

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Various questions about CHILDREN's stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    2. If you mean a one-piece garment, I would call it a snow suit.
    When I was young, we still used garments designed during the war (WW2), to put on hurriedly over pyjamas when going to a (cold) air-raid shelter. They were called "siren suits"; but I haven't heard this expression for many years.

In the context of winter sports, BE has borrowed the French word, salopettes.

If coldness isn't a problem "dungarees".

4. We call them shovels.
    And we call them spades.

6. There are many different kinds of hats and different words to describe them: hat, cap, tam, fedora, stetson, cowboy hat, toque, stocking cap, baseball cap, Panama hat, boater, bonnet, bowler, chapeau, skimmer, sombrero, stove pipe hat, straw hat, ten-gallon hat, top hat, beret, bonnet
    To add to Mike's list:

beanie, bobble-hat, deer-stalker, flat hat, Homburg, opera-hat, pork-pie hat, trilby, - even biretta, soutane, and mitre (if it's not cheating to get ecclesiastical)

b

ps Another hat
    sou'wester - a waterproof hat, often yellow (worn by Christopher Robin in the Disney Pooh). It's so-called because, in the British Isles, it's winds from the SW that tend to bring rain.
    Last edited by BobK; 16-Oct-2006 at 15:12. Reason: 1 Fix typo; 2 Add ps

• Post Thanks / Like

MORE?!

You people must really love to specify exactly what kind of hat your children wear!!!

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! GREAT!

And that last point... PHEW!!! But at least now I have words I can google or something and see what kind of hat comes up!

Wonderful, thanks again!!
    You're welcome.

Lots of hats, eh?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    When I was young, we still used garments designed during the war (WW2), to put on hurriedly over pyjamas when going to a (cold) air-raid shelter. They were called "siren suits"; but I haven't heard this expression for many years.
    Sadly, I understand the context in which "siren suit" developed.

In the context of winter sports, BE has borrowed the French word, salopettes.

If coldness isn't a problem "dungarees".
    Here, "dungarees" would be denim jeans.

And we call them spades.
    You Brits are sooooooo difficult.

To add to Mike's list:

beanie, bobble-hat, deer-stalker, flat hat, Homburg, opera-hat, pork-pie hat, trilby, - even biretta, soutane, and mitre (if it's not cheating to get ecclesiastical)

b

ps Another hat
    sou'wester - a waterproof hat, often yellow (worn by Christopher Robin in the Disney Pooh). It's so-called because, in the British Isles, it's winds from the SW that tend to bring rain.
    Good ones.

• Post Thanks / Like

Indeed! I'll write a book about it when I go on pension (hope that's what you call it...)

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

MORE?!

You people must really love to specify exactly what kind of hat your children wear!!!
    In fairness, most of these hats would not be worn by children.

• Post Thanks / Like

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast