Results 1 to 7 of 7
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Jan 2006
    • Posts: 1,760
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    Question Complexity arises with...

    1. The complexity of a problem arises when a value of the parameter a is large.
    2. The complexity of a problem increases with an increasing value of the parameter a.

    Which one is better/correct? I would prefer the second meaning (as the two sentences have slightly different meaning IMO) but am not sure whether it is a correct sentence or not.

    Thanks,
    Nyggus

  1. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 19,932
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: Complexity arises with...

    Quote Originally Posted by nyggus View Post
    1. The complexity of a problem arises when a value of the parameter a is large.
    2. The complexity of a problem increases with an increasing value of the parameter a.

    Which one is better/correct? I would prefer the second meaning (as the two sentences have slightly different meaning IMO) but am not sure whether it is a correct sentence or not.

    Thanks,
    Nyggus
    I like 2 better. I would just eliminate "the" before "parameter" if "parameter a" is the name of something.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Jan 2006
    • Posts: 1,760
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: Complexity arises with...

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    I like 2 better. I would just eliminate "the" before "parameter" if "parameter a" is the name of something.
    Thanks, MikeNewYork. The "a" is the symbol of a parameter considered, and if it has been introduced earlier, "the" should be there, I think -- shouldn't it?

    Best,
    Nyggus

  2. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 19,932
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: Complexity arises with...

    Quote Originally Posted by nyggus View Post
    Thanks, MikeNewYork. The "a" is the symbol of a parameter considered, and if it has been introduced earlier, "the" should be there, I think -- shouldn't it?

    Best,
    Nyggus
    Here we go (again) with articles. If the word "parameter" is used, the article is needed. But if "parameter a" is the name of a parameter, then no article is used.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Jan 2006
    • Posts: 1,760
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Question Re: Complexity arises with...

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    Here we go (again) with articles. If the word "parameter" is used, the article is needed. But if "parameter a" is the name of a parameter, then no article is used.
    Indeed, here we go again. I am not sure "parameter a" is the name of a parameter; "a" is the name of a parameter. Should we really use no article? I must say I am really confused here. Some time ago a friend of mine told me one should not use an article in such a situation, but when we searched for it in many jounals we found that the article was usually used.

    Best,
    Nyggus

  3. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 15,879
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: Complexity arises with...

    Quote Originally Posted by nyggus View Post
    Indeed, here we go again. I am not sure "parameter a" is the name of a parameter; "a" is the name of a parameter. Should we really use no article? I must say I am really confused here. Some time ago a friend of mine told me one should not use an article in such a situation, but when we searched for it in many jounals we found that the article was usually used.

    Best,
    Nyggus
    Would it be clearer if we avoided "a" and said "the value of the X parameter"? - calling it "a" hurts my brain, because "a" can be an article.

    The complexity of a problem rises when the value of the X parameter is large.
    This sentence is talking about any instance of a problem that involves the X parameter; a large value for that parameter makes the complexity of such a problem rise.

    One could also say

    The complexity of a problem rises when the value of the parameter X is large.

    But when talking about a particular problem, where the X parameter has a certain value,

    The complexity of the problem rises because the value of parameter X is large.

    I think the articles you've seen are referring to particular problems.

    b

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Jan 2006
    • Posts: 1,760
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: Complexity arises with...

    Thanks, BobK. And practice you brain because many parameters in mathematics has a symbol "a", and avoiding it would be just confusing for those who know the parameter.

    Best,
    Nyggus

Similar Threads

  1. Introduction - could someone pl ve a look at it?!?
    By Dina1978 in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-Dec-2005, 03:48

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •