• Post Thanks / Like

fair, dark-skinned etc.

If someone has tanned complexion, can we say he or she is "dark-skinned"? Or do you use it only for the Negros and other people coming from southern countries?
    Is it polite to call the black people "Negros"? What about the expression "the black"?

Can I say I am white? I mean I am not "black."
    What is the opposite of dark-skinned? Is it fair-skinned or just the adjective (itself) "fair" is used?

Is it correct to say "she is pale-skinned"?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: fair, dark-skinned etc.

I don't think "Negro" is an acceptable term anywhere today. The usual terminology is "black," unless you're in the United States, where it's preferable to say "African-American."

If someone has dark or tanned skin, you can either describe them as "dark skinned" or refer to them as "dark complected" or "she has a dark complexion." If they are black, they can be described as a "dark-skinned black" or "light-skinned black." Caucasian people are described as "white." "Pale" is usually only used to describe a complexion if the person is sickly or unwell.

Examples:

"I'm a light-skinned black woman, what shade of lipstick would you recommend for me?"

"My best friend is of Italian descent, but with her dark complexion she often gets mistaken for Mexican or Iranian."

"You'd better get out of this hot sun - with your fair skin, you'll burn to a crisp!"

"He wouldn't admit that he was frightened, but his face was very pale after he got off of that roller coaster."

(NOTE: If you want to be very technical, in the U.S., the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission classifies "white" as non-Hispanic or Latino, non-black, non-Asian, non-Alaska native or American Indian, non-Hawaiian, and non-Pacific Islander.)

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ouisch View Post
    I don't think "Negro" is an acceptable term anywhere today. The usual terminology is "black," unless you're in the United States, where it's preferable to say "African-American."

If someone has dark or tanned skin, you can either describe them as "dark skinned" or refer to them as "dark complected" or "she has a dark complexion." If they are black, they can be described as a "dark-skinned black" or "light-skinned black." Caucasian people are described as "white." "Pale" is usually only used to describe a complexion if the person is sickly or unwell.

Examples:

"I'm a light-skinned black woman, what shade of lipstick would you recommend for me?"

"My best friend is of Italian descent, but with her dark complexion she often gets mistaken for Mexican or Iranian."

"You'd better get out of this hot sun - with your fair skin, you'll burn to a crisp!"

"He wouldn't admit that he was frightened, but his face was very pale after he got off of that roller coaster."

(NOTE: If you want to be very technical, in the U.S., the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission classifies "white" as non-Hispanic or Latino, non-black, non-Asian, non-Alaska native or American Indian, non-Hawaiian, and non-Pacific Islander.)
    Thank you very much, Ouisch! I believe you've described it perfectly!
    By the way, the technical definition for white people sound really funny .

• Post Thanks / Like

Nonetheless, "fair-skinned" is not acceptable?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

"Fair-skinned" is OK to use.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

Also 'olive-skinned' (it doesn't at all mean 'fair-skinned' though).

The Egyptian woman was neither fair nor dark, but rather olive-skinned.

b

• Post Thanks / Like

Thank you!!