Post Thanks / Like

what is the process of giving a compresensive English class?

Usually the Comprehensive English class are designed like this in my school:
    I. Leading in (warm up the students with some relevant information about the text, often present something by the teacher or the teacher give the students some questions to disscuss in groups. If in mutimedia classroom, there may be some video clips relating to the text)
    II. Fast reading the text to get the main idea and answering plain sense questions.
    III. Detail study of the text
    I) to paraphrase words and expressions (by a lot of examples shown by powerpoint)
    II) to analyze the long and complex sentence (often translate it)
    III) grammar and exercises
    During the second class:
    I) diction of the words learnt last time.
    II) ask students to make sentences using the new vacabulary
    My question is: do the native speaker learn a text by this way, can you show me the process the giving a comprehensive class, the more detailed, the better.
    What I mean is I am really bored by this teaching method. Are there any activities to make the class more active? Show me some examples.
    Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: what is the process of giving a compresensive English class?

I wonder how long is your class? what is the level?

Ive experienced this kind of plan in an intensive course, and it was very effective (was learning japanese), but if it is stretched into one or two hour courses I see how it could get boring.

One thing I notice is that you don't have much speaking practice - especially games and role playing. I get the idea that maybe you are after perfect grammar and native-level expression skills in your students, and in that case you cant really get rid of much of your lesson plan, but you need to intersperse lots and lots of active practice, like between every other activity.

assigning tasks to teams and making them compete works well with large classes, especially funny things - like asking a group of three or so to give a presentation on the ultimate super hero, and comparing all the groups in the class based on presentation and content.

or for lower levels you can easily split the class into say, market buyers and sellers, if you are teaching money and shopping conversations.

There is really no limit to the number of games to play, it all depends on the material you are studying. The key is to get the students up and active (and laughing).

oh, and dont get so carried away that you forget to do the hard work too!

How old, how big, and at what level is your class?

As an example, I spend 20 minutes of a fify minute class working in games (or at least the students think that they are games), 15 minutes doing active speaking drills, and 15 minutes working from the book/translating, but my students are very young on average and have a low attention span. Also, I do not do all of these things in one block, I spread out the games especially into three or four 5 minute activities.

hope that helps