Hybrid View

Raiph is offline Junior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Please check my essay

Similarities and Differences : My Opinion about College English and Scientific English

Before I’m going to outline the similarities and the distinction between college English and scientific English. I think it’s essential to give a definition to both of them. College English, like high school English, is generally used in daily life and mainly deal with everyday stuff while scientific English is often used in some professional fields, such as biology and engineering.
    In terms of language itself, scientific English should be based on college English. NO matter how different they seem to be, both are served as a tool for carrying information They present the writers’ thoughts as well as attitude.
    However, college English and scientific English may differ in the way they’re written. Since college English is common English, it is far easier for us to understand and there are a number of phrasal verbs, idioms, slang and the words with most common usage in it. Yet scientific English may be stuffed with lots of specialized terms and it tend to be precisely worded to make sure it is accurate and professional.
    The purpose for which we write is also a very important aspect . We usually make out professional articles for particular purpose. If we want to have a new discovery known to the public or compile a textbook on science, you will definitely write them in scientific English. However, common English will be thought to be too causal when they’re used in such articles.
    In short, though there are differences between scientific English and college English, they are expected to go hand in hand with one another. They both deserve great efforts and long time to learn. Apart form knowledge of language, a good grasp of scientific knowledge can help to make your scientific English much better.

Please make an overall comment on this essay and point out some mistakes.Thank you very much.

curmudgeon is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Please check my essay

Hi, I've made a few changes and corrected a couple of spelling mistakes. Hope I haven't changed the context too much

curmudgeon is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Please check my essay

Similarities and Differences: My Opinion about College English and Scientific English

Before I begin to outline the similarities and differences between college English and scientific English, I think it would be useful if I give them both a definition; College English, like high school English, is generally used in daily life and deals with everyday situations, while Scientific English is commonly used in professional fields, such as biology, medicine and engineering.
    In terms of language itself, scientific English is based on college English - no matter how different they seem to be - both serve as a tool for carrying information. They present the writers’ thoughts as well as attitude.
    However, college English and scientific English differ in the way they’re written. Since college English is common English, it is far easier for us to understand and there are a number of phrasal verbs, idioms, slang and words with most common usage in it. Scientific English, however can be crammed with specialized terms and tends to be precisely worded to ensure it is accurate and professional presented.
    The purpose for which it is written is also very important - professional articles are written for a particular purpose. If we have a new discovery that we wish to be known to either the general public or to a professional body then the textbook or article will almost certainly be written scientific English. In this situation common English will be deemed to be too casual and less precise if used in such articles.
    In short, though there are differences between scientific English and college English, they are expected to go hand in hand with one another. They both require great efforts and a long time to learn. Apart from a good knowledge of the English language, it is essential that you have a thorough understanding of the scientific or professional subject to ensure that your work is well received and understood by the target group at which it is aimed.