Confused101 Guest

Default I have no idea what i'm doing

I'm writing a literary analysis on Mary Shelley's Frankenstein and I need help finding a metaphor from the story...help??

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I have no idea what i'm doing

Firstly, what do you understand by the term 'metaphor'?

Post Thanks / Like

Well I understand that it's a word or phrase that describes one thing being used to describe another...so just answer me this...would
    "his watery eyes, that seemed almost of the same colour as the dun-white sockets in which they were set" be considered a metaphor? because mary shelley is describing the yellow eyes and then goes on to describe the sockets.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Might your teacher be looking for a larger metaphor, one that deals with the theme of the book?

Have a look here:
    mary shelley frankenstein metaphor - Google Search
    Or for a discussion on thematic metaphors, try here:
    NovelGuide: Frankenstein: Metaphor Analysis

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting links Tdol

May I add that a good start before start analyzing a book and its thematic elements is to see the context (i.e. when was it written; what kind of major changes and societal shifts were taking place at the time)

When Frankenstein was written, science and new discoveries were in full bloom (often in...fool bloom)

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: I have no idea what i'm doing

Here's what I ended up presenting. It was kind of last minute...I procrastinate literally ALL my projects. But here goes...

Frankenstein is thought of as the greatest Gothic Romantic Novel. It is often wondered how Mary Shelley wrote such a disturbing yet interesting novel at the age of only eighteen. Not only did Mary Shelley incorporate experiences from her summer stay at Lord Byron's Geneva Villa but she also used the resources from Metamorpheses by Ovid and Paradise Lost by Milton. The element that Ovid supplied was the portrayal of the Prometheus legend. This is why some people subtitle it, Frankenstein: The Modern Prometheus. The second element was supplied by Milton. The influence from Paradise Lost can be seen in the 1818 editon of Frankenstein.
    Mary Shelley uses several Similes and Metaphors in Frankenstein. A simile is a comparison using 'like' or 'as'. An example of a simile is represented on page 58 when Shelley quotes a quote from Rime of the Ancient Mariner:
    "Like one, that on a lonesome road
    Doth walk in fear and dread,
    And having once turned round walks on,
    And turns no more his head;
    Because he knows, a frightful fiend
    Doth close behind him tread."
    Another literary element that Mary Shelley used in Frankenstein is a Metaphor. A metaphor is a word or phrase that describes one thing being used to describe another. An example of a metaphor in Frankenstein is:

"his watery eyes, that seemed almost of the same colour as the dun-white sockets in which they were set"
    This metaphor first describes his watery eyes and then goes on to describe the dun-white sockets in which they were set.
    Mary Shelley also uses Imagery in Frankenstein. Imagery is Language that apeals to the senses. An example of Imagery in the story is:
    "I saw the dull yellow eye of the creature open; it breathed hard, and a convulsive motion agitated its limbs."
    In this example of imagery you can see inside your head the eye of the creature opening and you can see the convulsive motion that agitated his limbs.
    In conclusion, Mary Shelley used many different types of Literary Elements. Among these are similes, metaphors, and imagery. Her writing was influenced by many other writers and inspired other writers to write as she did.

Thats it. Hope it's okay. Ehh i'm not so sure about it. Grades prove everything though, right?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

1 I'm not sure that using a simile that is actually a quote rather than one of hers is a good example. What's the question, by the way. The eye and socket doesn't work for me, but in the same section there's a reference to 'wives' for a young boy's friends, which is a metaphorical usage.

Post Thanks / Like

haha well I think it's a little too late to change anything. I've already turned in the project. Ehh, it is what is though!

mmkextreme1 is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Can someone please tell me the quotation that is used as an example above correct and is it a metaphor for Frankestein please?