Post Thanks / Like

Question High & Low Pitch ???

I fancy knowing what exactly is this high & low pitch voice/accent within any individual accent. Is this similar to the "rhythm" or "stress" pattern ???

What accents around the world are considered to be having high and/or low pitch ???

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: High & Low Pitch ???

When we talk, especially in english, our voice has high and low moments, a lot like music. people are sometimes trained in pitch using music. There are a few patterns like:

this is a table. the "ta" in table gets a slightly higher pitch.
    or
    How are you? if it's been a long time, sometimes we emphasise the "are" with stress and a rise in pitch.

I just happen to write a paper about it the other day.

alienvoord is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by j4mes_bond25 View Post
    I fancy knowing what exactly is this high & low pitch voice/accent within any individual accent. Is this similar to the "rhythm" or "stress" pattern ???
    What accents around the world are considered to be having high and/or low pitch ???
    Stressed syllables in English have a higher pitch, greater loudness, and longer duration. Is this maybe what you are referring to?

Post Thanks / Like

Pitch can be used in English to indicate mood or emotion. (Happy, sad, surprised.) Pitch is also used to indicate a question. For example, the question, "You are hungry?" would normally be a statement, but a rise in tone at the end of the sentence indicates a question is being asked.

Pitch does vary with stress but also pitch can also vary independently of stress.

This use of pitch is not consistent across all English accents. The exact intricacies of pitch depends on the accent and pronunciation you are trying to learn. Some accents like some Welsh and Scots accents have very strong pitch variations. The words are almost sung. Other accents like some Australian accents are dead pan. They have a flat, constant, pitch.

Post Thanks / Like

I remembered something funny, relevant to our discussion...

During a Phonetics and Intonation class at my University, we were supposed to put marks (rises, falls, etc.) on a text and then read it back according to our notes. The text was from Winnie the Pooh, and there was a sentence "Hello Rabbit". A friend decided to mark it with a fall-rise intonation, but instead of including the whole phrase (and read "<fall>Hello <rise>Rabbit"), he added the fall-rise mark only over "o" in "Hello". The result was a very...ahem...alluring, borderline naughty "Hello-o", which made the professor say "In case you missed it, this is Winnie the Pooh's Rabbit, not Roger Rabbit"