Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: Put up with

  1. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Great Britain

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,819
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #11

    Wink Re: Put up with

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    Perhaps. But she would still be wrong.

    ~R
    Yeah, right. So what about Roberta's meaning to say, 'is the correct but not appropriate or acceptable very formal language'.

  2. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,570
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #12

    Re: Put up with

    Quote Originally Posted by engee30 View Post
    Yeah, right. So what about Roberta's meaning to say, 'is the correct but not appropriate or acceptable very formal language'.
    Wow, that's a mouthful!

    I am not sure what is (possibly) meant by "very formal language", but "put up with" is a phrasal verb. It is not slang.

    ~R

    P.S. Do you know the famous phrase in which Winston Churchill used the phrasal verb "put up with"?


  3. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Great Britain

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,819
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #13

    Red face Re: Put up with

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    P.S. Do you know the famous phrase in which Winston Churchill used the phrasal verb "put up with"?

    I think you're about ending, I mean in this case, avoiding ending a sentence with a preposition. But I'm not so sure about that.

  4. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,570
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #14

    Re: Put up with

    Quote Originally Posted by engee30 View Post
    I think you're about ending, I mean in this case, avoiding ending a sentence with a preposition. But I'm not so sure about that.
    Yes. He disapproved of that rule, and he said it (somebody correcting his sentences so they were "correct" in that fashion) was something "up with which he would not put". (I'm paraphrasing.) He was making fun of the rule at the same time as he was expressing his displeasure with it.

    ~R

  5. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Great Britain

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,819
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #15

    Wink Re: Put up with

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    Yes. He disapproved of that rule, and he said it (somebody correcting his sentences so they were "correct" in that fashion) was something "up with which he would not put". (I'm paraphrasing.) He was making fun of the rule at the same time as he was expressing his displeasure with it.

    ~R
    Wow, so I was right in my guessing. Thanks. It's really interesting, so interesting that I've just found a website on which the issue was commented on. Have a look yourself, if you like.
    Language Log: A misattribution no longer to be put up with

  6. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,570
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #16

    Re: Put up with

    Quote Originally Posted by engee30 View Post
    Wow, so I was right in my guessing. Thanks. It's really interesting, so interesting that I've just found a website on which the issue was commented on. Have a look yourself, if you like.
    Language Log: A misattribution no longer to be put up with
    Interesting story. So Churchill didn't really say that after all? Oh well.

    Last edited by RonBee; 08-Sep-2007 at 20:29. Reason: correct a spelling mistake

  7. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Great Britain

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,819
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #17

    Question Re: Put up with

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    Interesting story. So Churchill didn't really say that after all? Oh well.

    Your guess is as good as mine.
    Last edited by RonBee; 25-Jun-2007 at 00:25. Reason: correct a spelling mistake

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 434
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #18

    Re: Put up with

    I think RonBee is correct. ‘Put up with’ is commonly used to mean ‘tolerate’, ‘endure’ or ‘bear with patient’. It may be considered a phrasal verb by some but an idiom by other.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania

    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 1,885
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #19

    Re: Put up with

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    I will not put up with that sort of behavior.
    What does put up with mean?

    I won`t tolerate that sort of behaviour.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •