Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 119
  1. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 16,166
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #61

    Re: Active and Passive Vocabulary

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    Sometimes it's so difficult to choose the right word for my students. I think it's the lack of the practice. My problem is that I use correct words and very often can't explain why I use them. Where can I find the answer how to choose the right words besides dictionaries?
    Often, the right word is a matter of taste rather than grammar. It very much depends on the circumstance.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 44,225
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #62

    Re: Active and Passive Vocabulary

    Harry, try [DAVIES] Variation in English Words and Phrases (VIEW) for examples of words in use, then compare the contexts- I use this site a lot.

  2. Harry Smith's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 2,926
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #63

    Re: Active and Passive Vocabulary

    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    Harry, try [DAVIES] Variation in English Words and Phrases (VIEW) for examples of words in use, then compare the contexts- I use this site a lot.
    Thanks very much! I'll try.

  3. Harry Smith's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 2,926
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #64

    Re: Active and Passive Vocabulary

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    Often, the right word is a matter of taste rather than grammar. It very much depends on the circumstance.
    I fully agree with you. Very often I speak English and I can't believe that it's me speaking. I can be very fluent at times like many native speakers.

  4. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 16,166
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #65

    Re: Active and Passive Vocabulary

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    I fully agree with you. Very often I speak English and I can't believe that it's me speaking. I can be very fluent at times like many native speakers.
    I can't tell about your speaking, but your written English is very good.

  5. Harry Smith's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 2,926
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #66

    Re: Active and Passive Vocabulary

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    I can't tell about your speaking, but your written English is very good.
    I have been teaching and improving my English since 1977. Fifty of my student are teachers of English now.

  6. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 16,166
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #67

    Re: Active and Passive Vocabulary

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    I have been teaching and improving my English since 1977. Fifty of my student are teachers of English now.
    That's fantastic! You should be proud.

  7. Harry Smith's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 2,926
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #68

    Re: Active and Passive Vocabulary

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    That's fantastic! You should be proud.
    I'm very proud of them especially when I hear about their achievament in the field of teaching. Coming back toour discussion I just want to say that Vocabulary is one of the most important factors in learning languages.

  8. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 16,166
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #69

    Re: Active and Passive Vocabulary

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    I'm very proud of them especially when I hear about their achievament in the field of teaching. Coming back toour discussion I just want to say that Vocabulary is one of the most important factors in learning languages.
    There is no doubt about that. It beats the hell out of pointing and grunting.

  9. Harry Smith's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 2,926
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #70

    Re: Active and Passive Vocabulary

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    There is no doubt about that. It beats the hell out of pointing and grunting.
    When you teach English as a second language the students often complain about reading rules, grammar tenses, spelling and of course vocabulary. Let's take for example the verb "To look". As a beginner they have to know the following phrases: "look for" look after" look up" look forward to" look at" look like" etc. It's really hard to remember, isn't it?

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Active & Passive voice
    By Fazzu in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-Jul-2006, 05:11
  2. passive or Active?
    By ESL-lover in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-Feb-2005, 03:32
  3. active and passive.
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 31-Mar-2004, 11:51
  4. passives
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21-Feb-2003, 15:54
  5. Active and Passive sentences
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-Feb-2003, 23:57

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •