Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Russian Federation
How many words should an average Endlish speaker have in his active vocabulary and how many words should he know in general?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
How many words should an average Endlish speaker have in his active vocabulary and how many words should he know in general?

A major difficulty in answering that question is reaching some understanding of what a "word" is. I have seen estimates of the number of English words vary from several hundred thousand to over a million. Obviously, this range is too large to be meaningful. IMO, when we talk about words, we should talk about base words, that is, words without a variety of inflections. If we accept "love" as a word, it should include: love, loves, loved, loving, etc.
However, base words with prefixes and suffixes usually form new words. Another problem involves words with multiple definitions. Are the words "fast" and "set" individual words, or do their many meanings create more words. I would say no, but has one learned a word if one only knows a minority of its uses?

One source claims that the thousand most common words account for 85% of the words used in most conversations. That source came close to saying that that might be enough. However, a casual glance at those thousand words reveals that the list contains the three articles and most of the prepositions, pronouns, and routine conjunctions. While those words are common and very important, they hardly can be said to compose a sufficient vocabulary. Some estimates credit "average" speakers with an active vocabulary of five to ten thousand words (without defining what a word is), and a passive vocabulary of two to three times that many. Without any idea of what the definitions were, that sounds about right to me.

Harry Smith

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Russian Federation
How many words do native english speakers use in their daily life? I have no idea. Can they use more than 1500 if we don't count all those aticles and particles?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
How many words do native english speakers use in their daily life? I have no idea. Can they use more than 1500 if we don't count all those aticles and particles?

Yes, I believe they can and they do. By all acounts, a 1500 word vocabulary is very limted

My previous post, according to this site's text analyzer contained 146 unique words. That was a brief communication on one subject.

Harry Smith

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Russian Federation
Yes, I believe they can and they do. By all acounts, a 1500 word vocabulary is very limted

My previous post, according to this site's text analyzer contained 146 unique words. That was a brief communication on one subject.

Yes, I know that a 1500 word vocabulary is very limited. Of course you or somebody else can use three times more words than it, but where is the guarantee that you won't repeat the same wors over and over. Let's say each word 10-20 times. ;-)

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, I know that a 1500 word vocabulary is very limited. Of course you or somebody else can use three times more words than it, but where is the guarantee that you won't repeat the same wors over and over. Let's say each word 10-20 times. ;-)

The common words will be repeated endlessly. But each new subject brings new nouns, verbs, adjectives and adverbs. A conversation about one's home, a football game, and one's last vaction will introduce many new words. It will not take long to pass 1500 words.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
A non-native speaker might be able to use 1500 words to communicate successfully, but I agree that most native speakers would be using more than that.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A non-native speaker might be able to use 1500 words to communicate successfully, but I agree that most native speakers would be using more than that.

What does "successfully" mean? :-D

Harry Smith

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Russian Federation

I agree with you but wondering how many words native speakers use in their everyday conversations I don't mean teachers of English. I just want to know how many words simple american or english people use a day.

Harry Smith

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Russian Federation
The common words will be repeated endlessly. But each new subject brings new nouns, verbs, adjectives and adverbs. A conversation about one's home, a football game, and one's last vaction will introduce many new words. It will not take long to pass 1500 words.

Does it concern to simple people in their everyday activities?;-)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
How often would they have to use the word for it to be included in the list? For instance, in Portugal, I once had to buy a hinge. I looked the word up and went and bought one. I can still remember the word years later, but I only ever used it once- would this be included in my vocabulary?

Harry Smith

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Russian Federation
How often would they have to use the word for it to be included in the list? For instance, in Portugal, I once had to buy a hinge. I looked the word up and went and bought one. I can still remember the word years later, but I only ever used it once- would this be included in my vocabulary?

It is already in your vocabulary otherwise you couldn't remember that episode. ;-) Of course there are great many words which are rarely used in the language and it's not important to keep them in mind. But now I'm thinking about the native speaker who has the largest vocabulary. How many words he knows, I wonder.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Does it concern to simple people in their everyday activities?;-)

Of course. Just start making a list of nouns that are used in the acquisition and preparation of food: fruits, vegetables, meats, cheeses, dairy products, eggs, spices, breads, crackers, drinks, etc. Then make one for household items, transportation, school supplies, sports, clothing, etc. We are not talking brain surgery here. ;-)

Harry Smith

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Russian Federation
Of course. Just start making a list of nouns that are used in the acquisition and preparation of food: fruits, vegetables, meats, cheeses, dairy products, eggs, spices, breads, crackers, drinks, etc. Then make one for household items, transportation, school supplies, sports, clothing, etc. We are not talking brain surgery here. ;-)

Anyway I am not sure that a simple american uses more than 1500 unique words during a day. He doesn't do all the above mentioned activities in one day, does he? ;-)

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Anyway I am not sure that a simple american uses more than 1500 unique words during a day. He doesn't do all the above mentioned activities in one day, does he? ;-)

When did this get confined to single day? Is a vocabulary the sum total of words used in 24 hours? The average person has dozens of different conversations every day -- unless he lives in a cave. :lol:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It is already in your vocabulary otherwise you couldn't remember that episode. ;-) Of course there are great many words which are rarely used in the language and it's not important to keep them in mind. But now I'm thinking about the native speaker who has the largest vocabulary. How many words he knows, I wonder.

Such words would increase the speasker's vocabulary enormously.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

Someone may only use 1500 words in one day, but every day would have different items, as well as the main core that are repeated endlessly, so measuring vocabulary over 24 hours would not give a clear sense of that person's knowledge, IMO.

Harry Smith

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Russian Federation
To Tdol & MikeNewYork!
So an average native speaker has a vocabulary of about 10-15000 words, doesn't he? Saying vocabulary I mean his active words which he always carries in mind.:-D

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
To Tdol & MikeNewYork!
So an average native speaker has a vocabulary of about 10-15000 words, doesn't he? Saying vocabulary I mean his active words which he always carries in mind.:-D

I can live with that estimate, particularly for the lower end of native speakers. The higher end is anybody's guess. I knew Tony Randall, the actor. He was one of the most well-spoken men I have ever talked with. He was on the usage panel of American Heritage Dictionary. Speaking with him was an endless vocabulary lesson.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I read that Shakespeare and Churchill used the widest vocabularies of English writers. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.