Post Thanks / Like

Default a lot of questions!

1What is the Beijing flu?
    I read a story recently. It talks about an American girl who has diabetes. At first the doctor had thought she had the Beijing flu.
    It is quite strange that there is a disease named after my country’s capital, but I have never heard such disease in my country. Do you know something about it?

2 The second sentence:
    "I awoke sprawled on the floor in my hotel room, barely coherent."
    What does "coherent" mean here?

3 The third sentence:
    "I ate the same two meals every day for lunch and dinner: chicken, rice and green beans, or a turkey sandwich."
    I don't understand the sentence very clearly. Does it mean I ate these things: chicken, rice and green beans, or a turkey sandwich for one meal or separately for two meals? Are lunch and dinner the same, or everyday lunch are the same and everyday supper are the same?

4 The forth sentence:
    I’d belt out that number.
    The plot is a girl took part in the Miss America local pageant. Because her diabetes, she got ill right before the talent competition, but she wanted to continue.
    Here is the context: I pleaded with the officials to let me continue. They relented. For weeks I’d been rehearsing a song, “With One Look,” from the musical version of Sunset Boulevard. I had to get through it. I had to. I’d belt out that number, and everyone would forget what had happened to me that morning. I could forget.
    I just don't know the meaning of this sentence "I’d belt out that number".

Sorry for so many questions. Any answer will be appreciated.

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: a lot of questions!

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny Lau
    1What is the Beijing flu?
    I read a story recently. It talks about an American girl who has diabetes. At first the doctor had thought she had the Beijing flu.
    It is quite strange that there is a disease named after my country’s capital, but I have never heard such disease in my country. Do you know something about it?
    A few years back there was the much-discussed Hong Kong flu. Presumably, it got that name because it was believed that that was where it originated. I assume that is also the case with the Beijing flu.

2 The second sentence:
    "I awoke sprawled on the floor in my hotel room, barely coherent."
    What does "coherent" mean here?
    It seems to be a mistake in word choice. If she is barely coherent that means it is difficult to understand her.

3 The third sentence:
    "I ate the same two meals every day for lunch and dinner: chicken, rice and green beans, or a turkey sandwich."
    I don't understand the sentence very clearly. Does it mean I ate these things: chicken, rice and green beans, or a turkey sandwich for one meal or separately for two meals? Are lunch and dinner the same, or everyday lunch are the same and everyday supper are the same?
    She ate the same thing both for lunch and dinner every day.

4 The forth sentence:
    I’d belt out that number.
    The plot is a girl took part in the Miss America local pageant. Because her diabetes, she got ill right before the talent competition, but she wanted to continue.
    Here is the context: I pleaded with the officials to let me continue. They relented. For weeks I’d been rehearsing a song, “With One Look,” from the musical version of Sunset Boulevard. I had to get through it. I had to. I’d belt out that number, and everyone would forget what had happened to me that morning. I could forget.
    I just don't know the meaning of this sentence "I’d belt out that number".
    If she belted out the number that means she sang with considerable volume and vigor.

:)

Post Thanks / Like

"barely coherent", I’m sure it is just the sentence in an article of a famous American magazine.

As far as I know, "belt out" means to sing with considerable volume and vigor. But what does the "number" mean here?
    And thank you very much for you replies!

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The number is the song. Context should help you figure out the meaning of an unfamiliar word. For example, if you can sing it it is a song.

Rhymes
    http://www.usingenglish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1579

Post Thanks / Like

Thank u, I see:)

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The word number has several different definitions.

• number
      13. One of the separate offerings in a program of music or other entertainment: The band's second number was a march.
      14. Slang. A frequently repeated, characteristic speech, argument, or performance: suspects doing their usual number protesting innocence.
      15. Slang. A person or thing singled out for a particular characteristic: a crafty number.
      http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=number

I have also heard of a woman's dress being referred to as a number as in "That's a hot number you have on", suggesting that she is alluring (sexy) in that particular dress.

Interesting, huh?