Post Thanks / Like

Meaning of a sentence

Hello,
    Hope I'm in the right part of the forum. I'm filling in an application in English for a job, and there's the following question :"
    Will you have or can you arrange return rights to your present employer?". I Must admit that I don't get it. Firstly because I don't have a present employer, I left my old job to move to Rome. Secondly I don't know what return rights mean. Could somebody please tell me please? I'm French by the way, hence my understanding problems. Thank you. Vincent.

MikeNewYork is online now VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Meaning of a sentence

Quote Originally Posted by vsineau View Post
    Hello,
    Hope I'm in the right part of the forum. I'm filling in an application in English for a job, and there's the following question :"Will you have or can you arrange return rights to your present employer?". I Must admit that I don't get it. Firstly because I don't have a present employer, I left my old job to move to Rome. Secondly I don't know what return rights mean. Could somebody please tell me please? I'm French by the way, hence my understanding problems. Thank you. Vincent.
    To me, "return rights" sounds like a right to return to one's old job if the new one doesn't work out. This "right" does not exist in the US, if I am correct about the meaning.

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vsineau View Post
    Hello,
    Hope I'm in the right part of the forum. I'm filling in an application in English for a job, and there's the following question :"
    Will you have or can you arrange return rights to your present employer?". I Must admit that I don't get it. Firstly because I don't have a present employer, I left my old job to move to Rome. Secondly I don't know what return rights mean. Could somebody please tell me please? I'm French by the way, hence my understanding problems. Thank you. Vincent.

This probably refers to the right of an employee to return to her job following statutory maternity leave following the birth of a baby. Now legally required in the UK.

Ouisch is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

If you don't have a previous employer, you can write "N/A" in response to this question. It stands for "Not Applicable" and means that the question does not apply to you or your situation.