Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    gorikaz is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    129
    Post Thanks / Like

    Question Possibility of misinterpretation

    In my past thread, I asked a question about the "interpretation of using."
    From the comment and advice I received, I still believe that the following interpretation is true:

    1. They will show the examples using this method. (=which use)
    2. They will show the examples, using this method. (=and they will use)

    However, I wonder if there is a possibility that even native speakers sometimes omit a comma but still mean the case #2 above. For instance, in the following example, is there a possibility that even a native speaker interprets the sentence as "Execute the database with the use of the generator" instead of "Execute the database which uses the generator"?

    Example) Execute the database using the generator.

  2. #2
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is online now VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    11,843
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Possibility of misinterpretation

    Quote Originally Posted by gorikaz View Post
    In my past thread, I asked a question about the "interpretation of using."
    From the comment and advice I received, I still believe that the following interpretation is true:

    1. They will show the examples using this method. (=which use)
    2. They will show the examples, using this method. (=and they will use)

    However, I wonder if there is a possibility that even native speakers sometimes omit a comma but still mean the case #2 above. For instance, in the following example, is there a possibility that even a native speaker interprets the sentence as "Execute the database with the use of the generator" instead of "Execute the database which uses the generator"?

    Example) Execute the database using the generator.
    Yes, it is possible.

  3. #3
    gorikaz is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    129
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Possibility of misinterpretation

    I found an article of "no comma + ~ing" form as shown below. In this example, does "asking" modify "a fax" or does this sentence simply miss a comma before "asking"?

    "Around 11 p.m., ward education board officials sent out a fax to 31 principals of elementary and junior high schools in the ward asking them to investigate possible bullying."

  4. #4
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is online now VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    11,843
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Possibility of misinterpretation

    Quote Originally Posted by gorikaz View Post
    I found an article of "no comma + ~ing" form as shown below. In this example, does "asking" modify "a fax" or does this sentence simply miss a comma before "asking"?

    "Around 11 p.m., ward education board officials sent out a fax to 31 principals of elementary and junior high schools in the ward asking them to investigate possible bullying."
    I would say it modifies FAX. In this case, however, it doesn't make much difference whether the officials are asking or the FAX they sent is asking.

  5. #5
    gorikaz is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    129
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Possibility of misinterpretation

    Dear MikeNewYork,

    I see. In fact, I thought the same as you--it really does not make much difference between these two (fax and officials). Well, it seems that I should look into the context and interpret the meaning of the sentence which uses the "~ing" form, right?

  6. #6
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is online now VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    11,843
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Possibility of misinterpretation

    Quote Originally Posted by gorikaz View Post
    Dear MikeNewYork,

    I see. In fact, I thought the same as you--it really does not make much difference between these two (fax and officials). Well, it seems that I should look into the context and interpret the meaning of the sentence which uses the "~ing" form, right?
    Yes, context rules in these disputes.

  7. #7
    gorikaz is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    129
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Possibility of misinterpretation

    Dear MikeNewYork,

    Thank you for your advice!

  8. #8
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is online now VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    11,843
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Possibility of misinterpretation

    Quote Originally Posted by gorikaz View Post
    Dear MikeNewYork,

    Thank you for your advice!
    You're welcome.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 14-Jun-2009, 19:48
  2. possibility
    By tasdibek in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26-Apr-2006, 05:29
  3. Lesson on will and might (possibility)
    By Sarah2580 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-Nov-2005, 05:12
  4. Nuances between Modals
    By hela in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-Mar-2005, 04:05
  5. not the least possibility
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-Jun-2003, 15:08

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Hotchalk