Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    181
    Post Thanks / Like

    Cool anti-.... or anti... ?

    Hi,

    Which one is correct? anti-inflammatory or antiinflammatory.

    If both are corrrect which one is the most used?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    14
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: anti-.... or anti... ?

    The first seems to be correct. The prefix anti ends with a vowel letter and the main word begins with vowel letter. SO this compound word can be split so using a hiphen.

  3. #3
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is online now VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    11,930
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: anti-.... or anti... ?

    Quote Originally Posted by ieasy View Post
    Hi,

    Which one is correct? anti-inflammatory or antiinflammatory.

    If both are corrrect which one is the most used?
    They are both correct. Of the two, I would say the hyphenated version is the more common form.
    Last edited by MikeNewYork; 15-Nov-2006 at 18:18.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    181
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: anti-.... or anti... ?

    Thank you

  5. #5
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is online now VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    11,930
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: anti-.... or anti... ?

    Quote Originally Posted by ieasy View Post
    Thank you
    You're welcome.

  6. #6
    Avalon is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Germany
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    309
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: anti-.... or anti... ?

    ieasy..i know you´re form Brazil.and so am I..we´ve been posting and stuff.. I´m glad to see you have been quite diligent at your postings..and so have I ..and when students ask me whether such prefixes are hyphenated or not I just say that it does not really matter so much, that they should just pay attention to what they come across when reading texts and so on...

  7. #7
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is online now VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    11,930
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: anti-.... or anti... ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
    ieasy..i know you´re form Brazil.and so am I..we´ve been posting and stuff.. I´m glad to see you have been quite diligent at your postings..and so have I ..and when students ask me whether such prefixes are hyphenated or not I just say that it does not really matter so much, that they should just pay attention to what they come across when reading texts and so on...
    That is probably good advice. The issue is clarity for the reader. When two I's come in sequence, the hyphen is often used, but nobody will expect a word with a double I. This is different with a double O or a double E, both of which occur frequently in English. For example a cooperative can be called a co-op. The hyphen is important to differentiate it from coop. If one writes "I live in a coop", it would read as a chicken's house. The word re-emerge might cause a stumble without the hyphen.
    Last edited by MikeNewYork; 15-Nov-2006 at 18:19.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    181
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: anti-.... or anti... ?

    Hi, Avalon.
    First, thank you for your help, and to MikeNewyork too. Well, I live in Natal since 1996, but I'm from Belgium. I give English lessons too, and my students are pretty demanding. I also sometimes translate texts for university students. That's why my questions may look so detailed to some readers.

  9. #9
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is online now VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    11,930
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: anti-.... or anti... ?

    Quote Originally Posted by ieasy View Post
    Hi, Avalon.
    First, thank you for your help, and to MikeNewyork too. Well, I live in Natal since 1996, but I'm from Belgium. I give English lessons too, and my students are pretty demanding. I also sometimes translate texts for university students. That's why my questions may look so detailed to some readers.
    You're welcome. Your question was a good one.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Hotchalk