Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

    • Join Date: Oct 2006
    • Posts: 118
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    Exclamation How to pronounce these words.. plez?

    I hope to find an answer for the following question?

    1.Why we pronounce the beginning word ( sure ) as sh ?

    Also,
    2. why we pronounce ( ch ) in the word ( school ) as `K` ?

    Is there any role for this !

    thanks in advance

    my regard


    • Join Date: Oct 2006
    • Posts: 19,448
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: How to pronounce these words.. plez?

    {1} Questions & Answers: Sugar and sure gives a good explanation for "sure"

    {2} "School" derives from Greek "skhole"


    • Join Date: Oct 2006
    • Posts: 118
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: How to pronounce these words.. plez?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    {1} Questions & Answers: Sugar and sure gives a good explanation for "sure"

    {2} "School" derives from Greek "skhole"
    Thanks a lot for this answer .

    I appreciate your work .

    I get it .

    Cheers .

  1. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 16,166
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: How to pronounce these words.. plez?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kopite32 View Post
    Thanks a lot for this answer .

    I appreciate your work .

    I get it .

    Cheers .
    The main reason that English spelling is so difficult is that this language has imported words from every conceivable culture. As it was once said: English doesn't borrow from other languages. English follows other languages down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose words.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 309
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: How to pronounce these words.. plez?

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    The main reason that English spelling is so difficult is that this language has imported words from every conceivable culture. As it was once said: English doesn't borrow from other languages. English follows other languages down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose words.
    I find it funny ..we see words like lisTen , but donīt pronounce the T, Knee, no k..endless ..but not impossible to master the most common ones...cīmon fellows, letīs forget about mondlango or derivates and letīs simplify English a bit more...than bingo, most people can learn!

  2. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 16,166
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: How to pronounce these words.. plez?

    Quote Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
    I find it funny ..we see words like lisTen , but donīt pronounce the T, Knee, no k..endless ..but not impossible to master the most common ones...cīmon fellows, letīs forget about mondlango or derivates and letīs simplify English a bit more...than bingo, most people can learn!
    It will never happen. First of all, the different spellings for the same sound pay homage to the origins of the words. Second, we have so many homophones in English, phonetic spelling will make many things far worse.

    bread/bred
    to/too/two
    hour/our
    site/sight/cite/

    etc.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 44,225
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: How to pronounce these words.. plez?

    Quote Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
    cīmon fellows, letīs forget about mondlango or derivates
    I see very little evidence to suggest that any of the artificial languages will get very far.

  3. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 16,166
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: How to pronounce these words.. plez?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    I see very little evidence to suggest that any of the artificial languages will get very far.
    We've seen it before.

  4. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 15,854
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

    Re: How to pronounce these words.. plez?

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    It will never happen. First of all, the different spellings for the same sound pay homage to the origins of the words. Second, we have so many homophones in English, phonetic spelling will make many things far worse....
    You can say that again. Mark Twain wrote a funny piece about Spelling Reform

    Learners will just have to grin and bear it.

    b

  5. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 16,166
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #10

    Re: How to pronounce these words.. plez?

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    You can say that again. Mark Twain wrote a funny piece about Spelling Reform

    Learners will just have to grin and bear it.

    b
    I've seen that. It's great. Noah Webster tried very hard to simplify some spellings as he was codifying American English spelling. He got the U out of humor, color, neighbor, etc. Almost nothing else caught on.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Active and Passive Vocabulary
    By Harry Smith in forum Text Analysis and Statistics
    Replies: 118
    Last Post: 15-Jun-2007, 05:28
  2. Compound words with and without hyphen
    By zaed_salah in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-Sep-2006, 19:56
  3. Alphabetizing Words
    By ohiomanager in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25-Feb-2006, 12:26
  4. 1000 most important words
    By Joe in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-Sep-2004, 08:23
  5. Confusing Words or Confused Words
    By Piak in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-Jun-2003, 00:10

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •