Results 1 to 5 of 5
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Nov 2003
    • Posts: 2,671
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    conclude or finish?

    Dear teachers,

    I used to spend much time reading English texts. But now when I begin to learn to use English I find it more difficult than reading.

    Please read the following sentence:

    The auction ends and you've won! You are the highest bidder. Now you and the seller must contact each other by e-mail, arrange payment and shopping terms and _________ the transaction.

    a. finish b. conclude c. accomplish

    The key is 'a'. My question is: why isn't 'b' correct? My dictionary reads: finish arranging an agreement etc successfully. And why isn't 'c' correct? My dictionary reads: to succeed in doing something.

    Looking forward to hearing from you.

    Thank you in advance.

    Jiang

  1. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 16,149
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: conclude or finish?

    Quote Originally Posted by jiang View Post
    Dear teachers,

    I used to spend much time reading English texts. But now when I begin to learn to use English I find it more difficult than reading.

    Please read the following sentence:

    The auction ends and you've won! You are the highest bidder. Now you and the seller must contact each other by e-mail, arrange payment and shopping terms and _________ the transaction.

    a. finish b. conclude c. accomplish

    The key is 'a'. My question is: why isn't 'b' correct? My dictionary reads: finish arranging an agreement etc successfully. And why isn't 'c' correct? My dictionary reads: to succeed in doing something.

    Looking forward to hearing from you.

    Thank you in advance.

    Jiang
    We don't accomplish a transaction, just as we don't accomplish a cake or a contract.

    I see no real difference between "finish" and "conclude". Either is acceptable.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Nov 2003
    • Posts: 2,671
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: conclude or finish?


    Dear Mike,

    Thank you very much for your explanation. Now I see.

    Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    We don't accomplish a transaction, just as we don't accomplish a cake or a contract.

    I see no real difference between "finish" and "conclude". Either is acceptable.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 309
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: conclude or finish?

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    We don't accomplish a transaction, just as we don't accomplish a cake or a contract.

    I see no real difference between "finish" and "conclude". Either is acceptable.
    I agree with MNY, what do you accomplish then? a goal? a task? a feat?

  2. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 16,149
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: conclude or finish?

    Quote Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
    I agree with MNY, what do you accomplish then? a goal? a task? a feat?

    Yes, all of those.

Similar Threads

  1. likely, probably, possibly
    By billy in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 20-Jan-2010, 23:30
  2. Did you finish yet ?
    By lolobouise in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-Jul-2006, 23:04
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13-May-2005, 07:00
  4. finish and end
    By jiang in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 16-Nov-2004, 13:37

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •