BelCanto Guest

Default Question...what is the rule?

Hello,

I have a question about the following sentences:

**Given the scope of this report I will only talk about the implementations of the sections in that I am directly involved.
    OR
    Given the scope of this report I will only talk about the implementations of the sections that I am directly involved in.**

Which one is correct? Or, are they both?
    I am wondering about the “in” being at the end of a sentence. Is that incorrect?

Here is another:
    ** Prior to placing the ad, we have a couple of questions we were hoping you can help us with.
    OR
    Prior to placing the ad, we have a couple of questions with which we were hoping you can help us. **

Same type of thing. Is the “with” at the end of the sentence correct? Also, what is the "rule" surrounding this?

Thank you very much for your help.

--BelCanto

MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Question...what is the rule?

Quote Originally Posted by BelCanto
    Hello,

**Given the scope of this report I will only talk about the implementations of the sections in that I am directly involved.
    OR
    Given the scope of this report I will only talk about the implementations of the sections that I am directly involved in.**

I am wondering about the “in” being at the end of a sentence. Is that incorrect?

Here is another:
    ** Prior to placing the ad, we have a couple of questions we were hoping you can help us with.
    OR
    Prior to placing the ad, we have a couple of questions with which we were hoping you can help us. **

Same type of thing. Is the “with” at the end of the sentence correct? Also, what is the "rule" surrounding this?

--BelCanto
    OR

Ending a sentence with a preposition is not as much of a problem as it used to be. Nevertheless, there are still those who object to the practice. In formal writing, I avoid terminal prepositions, but that is a personal choice.

Your first sentence is not correct as written. You must use "which" instead of that in constructions like this one. "Given the scope of this report I will only talk about the implementations of the sections in which I am directly involved.

OR

This second sentence allows me to make a good teaching point. One can create overly complicated sentences when one tries to avoid terminal prepositions. These types of sentences are usually used by individuals to make it appear that avoiding terminal prepositions causes problems. The correct solution, however, is to rephrase the statement. Your first version is acceptable, even with the terminal preposition, but it would be better without it, IMO. Your second version is not acceptable to me. It turns the sentence inside out, trying to avoid ending with "with". Try this:

We were hoping that you could answer a couple of questions for us before we place the ad. This avoids the terminal preposition and the messy sentence. :)

BelCanto Guest

Default Re: Question...what is the rule?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP.

--Jennifer

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by BelCanto
    Hello,

OR

Here is another:
    OR

--BelCanto
    OR

Ending a sentence with a preposition is not as much of a problem as it used to be. Nevertheless, there are still those who object to the practice. In formal writing, I avoid terminal prepositions, but that is a personal choice.

Your first sentence is not correct as written. You must use "which" instead of that in constructions like this one. "Given the scope of this report I will only talk about the implementations of the sections in which I am directly involved.

OR

This second sentence allows me to make a good teaching point. One can create overly complicated sentences when one tries to avoid terminal prepositions. These types of sentences are usually used by individuals to make it appear that avoiding terminal prepositions causes problems. The correct solution, however, is to rephrase the statement. Your first version is acceptable, even with the terminal preposition, but it would be better without it, IMO. Your second version is not acceptable to me. It turns the sentence inside out, trying to avoid ending with "with". Try this:

We were hoping that you could answer a couple of questions for us before we place the ad. This avoids the terminal preposition and the messy sentence. :)

MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

You're very welcome!