Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: commas

  1. #1
    Anonymous Guest

    Default commas

    I hate milk and therefore I hate chocolate.

    i read a rule that when a cojunctive adverb joins 2 independent clauses it should be seperate using a semicolon but there is another rule that a adverb can be puncuated using set off commas as well, both rules can be used here. there i am confused about how to punctaute a conjunctive adverb in this sentence. Please advise the correct punctaution. Also, is it wrong to say "and therefore?"

  2. #2
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    43,110
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think different people would use different punctuation, but I would go for this:

    I hate milk and, therefore, I hate chocolate.

  3. #3
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    14,474
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: commas

    Quote Originally Posted by chandni
    I hate milk and therefore I hate chocolate.

    i read a rule that when a cojunctive adverb joins 2 independent clauses it should be seperate using a semicolon but there is another rule that a adverb can be puncuated using set off commas as well, both rules can be used here. there i am confused about how to punctaute a conjunctive adverb in this sentence. Please advise the correct punctaution. Also, is it wrong to say "and therefore?"
    Both rules are correct. The problem is that you have a potential conjunctive adverb and a conjunction together. Thus, "therefore" becomes just an adverb here. The "and" does the conjoining.

    I hate milk; therefore, I hate chocolate.
    I hate milk, and, therefore, I hate chocolate.

    As TDOL suggested, some would leave out the comma between "and" and "therefore", making the two words a sort of combined conjunction. The additional comma is more widely accepted.

    The punctuation having been dealt with, the logic of the sentence escapes me. :wink:

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    508
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: commas

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork

    The punctuation having been dealt with, the logic of the sentence escapes me. :wink:
    I think it is the milk chocolate he hates. BMO

  5. #5
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    14,474
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: commas

    Quote Originally Posted by bmo
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork

    The punctuation having been dealt with, the logic of the sentence escapes me. :wink:
    I think it is the milk chocolate he hates. BMO
    Either that or chocolate milk.

Similar Threads

  1. Commas before and after names
    By hopechest in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-May-2009, 08:29
  2. commas and periods inside quotes
    By commajf1 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 26-Aug-2004, 17:46
  3. commas
    By navi tasan in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 27-Jun-2004, 15:29

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •