Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,335
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Reported speech.

    Hi,
    Matt said to his girlfriend, “Shall I buy you some crisps?”
    1. Matt offered his gilfriend to buy some crisps.
    2. Matt offered to buy some crisps for his girlfriend.

    Please, which is better?
    TIA

  2. #2
    Teia is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,881
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Reported speech.

    Quote Originally Posted by Humble View Post
    Hi,
    Matt said to his girlfriend, “Shall I buy you some crisps?”
    1. Matt offered his gilfriend to buy some crisps.
    2. Matt offered to buy some crisps for his girlfriend.

    Please, which is better?
    TIA

    Hi Humble

    I`d say that the second sentence is correct.
    The first one might sound different using "told", which changes its message :
    Mat told his girlfriend to buy some crisps
    or "said to"
    Matt said to his girlfriend to buy some crisps.
    Still, if you want to use "offered", the second sentence is correct.

    Regards,
    Teia

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    671
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Reported speech.

    Quote Originally Posted by Humble View Post
    Hi,
    Matt said to his girlfriend, “Shall I buy you some crisps?”
    1. Matt offered his gilfriend to buy some crisps.
    2. Matt offered to buy some crisps for his girlfriend.

    Please, which is better?
    TIA
    The second is correct, because it expresses that the direct object of the verb 'offered' is the verbal infinitive 'to buy' - Matt is the subject, and 'to buy' is the direct object of what he is offering.

    The first sentence has 'his girlfriend' in the position of direct object. It is grammatical, but it means that Matt offered his girlfriend (to someone else - the omitted indirect object) in order that he could buy some crisps. This is rather immoral to say the least, and probably not what the writer really meant.

    In the second sentence, 'for his girlfriend' is the indirect (dative case) object of 'offered'.

  4. #4
    riverkid is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,064
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Reported speech.

    Quote Originally Posted by Humble View Post
    Hi,
    Matt said to his girlfriend, “Shall I buy you some crisps?”
    1. Matt offered his gilfriend to buy some crisps.
    2. Matt offered to buy some crisps for his girlfriend.

    Please, which is better?
    TIA
    I'd say that these aren't really examples of reported speech, Humble.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,335
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Reported speech.

    Aren't they? What are they, then?

  6. #6
    riverkid is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,064
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Reported speech.

    Quote Originally Posted by Humble View Post
    Aren't they? What are they, then?
    I'd say, Humble, though I may be mistaken, that they are descriptions of a fact situation.

    Reported speech, IMHO, is reserved for those instances where we don't want to take the responsibility for accurate quoting what someone has said, so we "report" it ,which alerts the listener that it may not be a completely accurate portrayal.

    Matt said to his girlfriend, “Shall I buy you some crisps?”

    Matt asked his girlfriend if she wanted him to buy her some crisps.

    So Matt said, should I get/buy you some crisps?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    671
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Reported speech.

    Quote Originally Posted by riverkid View Post
    I'd say, Humble, though I may be mistaken, that they are descriptions of a fact situation.
    Reported speech, IMHO, is reserved for those instances where we don't want to take the responsibility for accurate quoting what someone has said, so we "report" it ,which alerts the listener that it may not be a completely accurate portrayal.
    Matt said to his girlfriend, “Shall I buy you some crisps?”
    Matt asked his girlfriend if she wanted him to buy her some crisps.
    So Matt said, should I get/buy you some crisps?
    It definitely is reported speech. Reported speech is simply reporting a past event. It has no connotation of agreement or otherwise with what is being reported.

  8. #8
    riverkid is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,064
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Reported speech.

    Quote Originally Posted by Coffa View Post
    It definitely is reported speech. Reported speech is simply reporting a past event. It has no connotation of agreement or otherwise with what is being reported.
    "Coffa wrote a reply."

    Reported speech ... ?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    671
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Reported speech.

    Quote Originally Posted by riverkid View Post
    "Coffa wrote a reply."
    Reported speech ... ?
    Indeed. Your sarcasm is only evident in context. That was my point, surely?

  10. #10
    riverkid is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,064
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Reported speech.

    Quote Originally Posted by Coffa View Post
    Indeed. Your sarcasm is only evident in context. That was my point, surely?
    Please don't assume that brevity means sarcasm, Coffa.

    Could you please explain your last comment. I'm not sure what your point was/is.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Reported speech ...
    By sweetie_sneha in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 19-Jun-2006, 14:36
  2. reported speech
    By hela in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16-Apr-2006, 16:10
  3. Need advice on Reported Speech, thanks, teachers!
    By Help Wanted in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-Jun-2005, 12:32
  4. help me to teach : reflexive pronouns and reported speech
    By aboalgory in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 26-Mar-2005, 22:52
  5. desperate! reported speech
    By valtango in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 20-Mar-2003, 15:40

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •