cocopp Guest

Default extensive local coverage

(context: When one firm owns most of a city's news outlets, who needs a bunch of competing newsrooms? Investigative reporting and extensive local coverage requires a costly staff. It's far cheaper to syndicate fare from headquarters than to support a diversity of local voices.)

1)Does "extensive local coverage" mean "news reports of a wide range of topics in the local area" or "the large percentage of persons reached by a medium of communication, such as television or a newspaper"?

2)I know "fare" mean "resources" here, but what does "syndicate" mean?

MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: extensive local coverage

Quote Originally Posted by cocopp View Post
    (context: When one firm owns most of a city's news outlets, who needs a bunch of competing newsrooms? Investigative reporting and extensive local coverage requires a costly staff. It's far cheaper to syndicate fare from headquarters than to support a diversity of local voices.)

1)Does "extensive local coverage" mean "news reports of a wide range of topics in the local area" or "the large percentage of persons reached by a medium of communication, such as television or a newspaper"?

2)I know "fare" mean "resources" here, but what does "syndicate" mean?
    1. It means the first of your options.

2. I really don't understand the use of "syndicate" there. I think it is trying to say that one outlet with one headquarters is cheaper than a number of different headquarters.

Ouisch is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cocopp View Post
    )I know "fare" mean "resources" here, but what does "syndicate" mean?
    It is less expensive for a small, local TV station to pay a fee and broadcast the news (or other programs) that originate from a larger station. This is called syndication. For example, suppose you own a small TV station in Bay City (Madonna's birthplace!), Michigan, which is about 90 miles north of Detroit. If you want to present local news, you have to hire a technical crew for the field, a crew for the studio, and people to serve as on-camera "anchors" to present the news. It is much cheaper to pay a syndication fee and re-broadcast the news from one of the major stations in Detroit.

Post Thanks / Like

You mean "syndicate" refers to "sell", and in the context I do think "syndicate" should mean "sell". But I have looked up "syndicate" in many dictionaries. All of them say that "syndicate" means "buy". Why is that?

Ouisch is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Dictionary.com shows it to mean "sell"

8. to publish simultaneously, or supply for simultaneous publication, in a number of newspapers or other periodicals in different places: Her column is syndicated in 120 papers.
    9. Television. to sell (a program, series, etc.) directly to independent stations.
    10. to sell shares in or offer participation in the financial sharing of (a risk venture, loan, or the like): to syndicate a racehorse among speculators; to syndicate a loan among several banks.

It works two ways, I suppose. One entity is selling a product, and others are buying it. For example, Desilu Productions owned the TV show I Love Lucy. When the first-run shows went off the air, Desilu sold the show into syndication. TV stations then had the option to buy the program to show locally.