Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    508
    Post Thanks / Like

    My family are (or is)

    I am confused:

    My family is from Italy.
    My family are very close.
    My family is poor.
    My family are poor.
    My family is very grateful.

    Are these all correct? When do you use "are" or "is?"

  2. #2
    Jesse Huang Guest
    In my opinion:

    My family is... "My family" is treated as one unit.

    My family are...I am saying every member in my family.

  3. #3
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    15,248
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: My family are (or is)

    Quote Originally Posted by bmo
    I am confused:

    My family is from Italy.
    My family are very close.
    My family is poor.
    My family are poor.
    My family is very grateful.

    Are these all correct? When do you use "are" or "is?"
    In American English, collective nouns are almost always treated as singular. In British English, it often depends on whether the speaker/writer sees the noun as a unit or as individuals. That seems to defeat the purpose of collective nouns, but that is how it is. 8)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    508
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: My family are (or is)

    thanks to jesse and mikenewyork, i think i got it. bmo

  5. #5
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    15,248
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: My family are (or is)

    Quote Originally Posted by bmo
    thanks to jesse and mikenewyork, i think i got it. bmo
    You're welcome. :)

  6. #6
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    43,627
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: My family are (or is)

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    In British English, it often depends on whether the speaker/writer sees the noun as a unit or as individuals. That seems to defeat the purpose of collective nouns, but that is how it is. 8)
    Watch it.

  7. #7
    Android Guest

    Re: My family are (or is)

    From grammar point of view, the word 'family' is singular, so I would use 'is'.

  8. #8
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    15,248
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: My family are (or is)

    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    In British English, it often depends on whether the speaker/writer sees the noun as a unit or as individuals. That seems to defeat the purpose of collective nouns, but that is how it is. 8)
    Watch it.
    :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: My family are (or is)

    when you speak of your family or a family in general, you are talking about a single group. So, family is, is the correct usage. One exception is "the people in my family are crazy, nice......whatever. This is because you have changed the subject to a plural, people.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: My family are (or is)

    Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I note that in fact you're both wrong. I got to this via Google, so others may too. First off:

    In American English, collective nouns are almost always treated as singular. In British English, it often depends on whether the speaker/writer sees the noun as a unit or as individuals. That seems to defeat the purpose of collective nouns, but that is how it is. 8)
    You're mostly right, but your last comment is ill-informed. In British English, it depends whether you are talking about your family as a unit ("my family is from Italy") or as a collection of individuals ("my family are friendly" = "all the people in my family are friendly"; also "my family is friendly"). Although you can treat the family as a single unit (collective noun) or as a collection of individuals, it's still a collective form, and therefore doesn't defeat the purpose of a collective noun.

    Quote Originally Posted by chris0103 View Post
    when you speak of your family or a family in general, you are talking about a single group. So, family is, is the correct usage. One exception is "the people in my family are crazy, nice......whatever. This is because you have changed the subject to a plural, people.
    Bad example. The subject of your sentence has changed from "family" to "people" - you're actually saying "the people [...] are crazy", which deviates from what the original poster was asking, and introduces an irrelevancy, since we would never say "the people [...] is". The fact that they are also "in my family" is supplementary information and not directly relevant.

Similar Threads

  1. My family and I
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-Oct-2004, 05:12
  2. royal family
    By Lenka in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 19-Jun-2004, 00:36
  3. The Hidden Evidence: The Past Family
    By shun in forum Teaching English
    Replies: 143
    Last Post: 09-Nov-2003, 00:56

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •