1) I have been working very hard in order to make the grade.
2) a) She believes that holding a/her wedding ceremony in a big church is the
- What does it mean of make the grade? Grades are allocated to indicate quality of a student's work.
most important rite of passage in her life and that she must make it
b) She has been feeling numb and detached from her husband.
c) She feels borrowing money from others is a demeaning act.
d) She couldn't catch what I said as she was preoccupied with her
3) a) keep the date and location hush-hush Keep them secret
- Are they good English writings? Otherwise fine
b) over-the-top Going beyond the bounds of propiety, excessive behaviour or clothing
c) seasoned member (does it mean experienced member) essentially yes - derives from the use of seasoned when describing wood that has been cut and left to mature.
d) a stress-ridden time that revolves around marathon shopping
trip A marathon shopping trip implies lots of energy expended in going from shop to shop, which leads to stress
e) when it comes to the crunch, they will support us When a decisive point is reached, they will support us.
- What do they mean?
- For Teachers