Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    jiang is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2,671
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default How to understand the dictionary etc.

    Dear teachers,

    I have two questions to ask:

    No.1
    When I was consulting the phrase 'bring in' in my dictionary ( Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English) the definition is as follows:

    to allow or invite someone to beocme involved in a discussion, INVESTIGATION etc.

    I don't know why INVESTIGATION is capitalized. I have gone through the Explanatory Chart and can't find the reason. Could you please tell me why it is capitalized?

    No.2
    Could you please tell me when I write a note to somebody where should I sign my name? Here different books have different forms. Some are at the right corner while others are at the right corner. So I don't know which is correct.

    To make my point clear I am sending an attachment just to show you the two different forms.

    Looking forward to hearing from you.

    Thank you in advance.

    Jiang
    Attached Files Attached Files

  2. #2
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    41,630
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: How to understand the dictionary etc.

    1 I can't see any reason.
    2 To be honest, I don't think it matters where you sign a note- whichever side you like, or in the middle.

  3. #3
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    11,830
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: How to understand the dictionary etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by jiang View Post
    Dear teachers,

    I have two questions to ask:

    No.1
    When I was consulting the phrase 'bring in' in my dictionary ( Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English) the definition is as follows:

    to allow or invite someone to beocme involved in a discussion, INVESTIGATION etc.

    I don't know why INVESTIGATION is capitalized. I have gone through the Explanatory Chart and can't find the reason. Could you please tell me why it is capitalized?

    No.2
    Could you please tell me when I write a note to somebody where should I sign my name? Here different books have different forms. Some are at the right corner while others are at the right corner. So I don't know which is correct.

    To make my point clear I am sending an attachment just to show you the two different forms.

    Looking forward to hearing from you.

    Thank you in advance.

    Jiang
    I have no idea why "investigation" is in capitals.

    The format for letter varies, and there really is no right or wrong.

    Business letters today often/usually have everything at the left margin:

    Date:

    Header:

    Salutation:

    Body:

    Closing:

    Signature:

    Personal letters often have the date at the right and no header.

    The salutation and body are at the left, with paragraphs indented.

    The closing and signature are on the right.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    17
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: How to understand the dictionary etc.

    I suspect Investigation is capitalized to convey the fact that the sense quoted is a particularly pertinent use of 'to bring in'. 'The police brought in a handwriting expert to assist with the investigation'.

  5. #5
    jiang is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2,671
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: How to understand the dictionary etc.

    Dear Tdol,

    Thank you very much for your reply. Now I see.

    Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    1 I can't see any reason.
    2 To be honest, I don't think it matters where you sign a note- whichever side you like, or in the middle.

  6. #6
    jiang is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2,671
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: How to understand the dictionary etc.

    Dear Mike,

    Thank you very much for your example. Now I see.

    Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    I have no idea why "investigation" is in capitals.

    The format for letter varies, and there really is no right or wrong.

    Business letters today often/usually have everything at the left margin:

    Date:

    Header:

    Salutation:

    Body:

    Closing:

    Signature:

    Personal letters often have the date at the right and no header.

    The salutation and body are at the left, with paragraphs indented.

    The closing and signature are on the right.

  7. #7
    jiang is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2,671
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: How to understand the dictionary etc.

    Dear Bounty Hunter,

    Thank you very much for your explanation. Could you please kindly explain the meaning of ' pertinent use' here because I can't understand the example without understanding the meaning of 'pertinent use'?

    Looking forward to hearing from you.

    Thank you in advance.

    Jiang

    Quote Originally Posted by Bounty Hunter View Post
    I suspect Investigation is capitalized to convey the fact that the sense quoted is a particularly pertinent use of 'to bring in'. 'The police brought in a handwriting expert to assist with the investigation'.

Similar Threads

  1. Hyphenation English dictionary
    By andrew7777777 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 21-Mar-2007, 06:37
  2. monolingual dictionary
    By rovi in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 17-Sep-2006, 15:20
  3. Dictionary Words
    By jack in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 21-Nov-2004, 15:18
  4. dictionary organized by subjects
    By jvaldelv in forum Teaching English
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-Dec-2003, 12:24

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Hotchalk