Results 1 to 6 of 6

    • Join Date: Nov 2006
    • Posts: 61
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    Question a while / awhile

    Is there any diffrence in using a while and awhile? I know awhile means a period of time usually short. Is there any specific lengh of time for awhile?

    Thanks !
    Last edited by dinha; 27-Nov-2006 at 00:07.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: May 2005
    • Posts: 2,047
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: a while / awhile

    The word awhile is considered by many grammarians to be ungrammatical, a solecism, however it is sometimes used in place of the two words a while when it is used as the object of a preposition. "I'm going to rest for awhile."

    I always recommend that my students avoid usages that some, but not all, teachers and other experts consider non-standard. Why take unnecessary chances? The word awhile falls into that category. Avoid using it, you'll never be considered wrong if you use the words a while in every instance.


    • Join Date: Nov 2006
    • Posts: 61
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: a while / awhile

    Quote Originally Posted by mykwyner View Post
    The word awhile is considered by many grammarians to be ungrammatical, a solecism, however it is sometimes used in place of the two words a while when it is used as the object of a preposition. "I'm going to rest for awhile."

    I always recommend that my students avoid usages that some, but not all, teachers and other experts consider non-standard. Why take unnecessary chances? The word awhile falls into that category. Avoid using it, you'll never be considered wrong if you use the words a while in every instance.

    Thank you so much for your help!!! The original sentence is:
    " Thanks for the invitation.I would love to come.It may be a while though " )
    The speaker is not really refusing the invitation but just saying that he or she can not come now and it will be later . Am I correct ?

    Thanks again !!!

  1. curmudgeon's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Mar 2006
    • Posts: 1,657
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: a while / awhile

    Quote Originally Posted by dinha View Post
    Thank you so much for your help!!! The original sentence is:
    " Thanks for the invitation.I would love to come.It may be a while though " )
    The speaker is not really refusing the invitation but just saying that he or she can not come now and it will be later . Am I correct ?

    Thanks again !!!
    Yes, but better to say I may be a while though

  2. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 16,166
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: a while / awhile

    Quote Originally Posted by dinha View Post
    Is there any diffrence in using a while and awhile? I know awhile means a period of time usually short. Is there any specific lengh of time for awhile?

    Thanks !
    The single word "awhile" is an adverb. It can be used correrctly as:

    After my trip, I slept awhile.

    If you use a prepsotion with it, you then need the noun.

    After my trip, I slept for a while.

  3. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 16,166
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: a while / awhile

    Quote Originally Posted by curmudgeon View Post
    Yes, but better to say I may be a while though
    I don't see anything wrong with "it will be a while". In that case, it refers to the time period.

Similar Threads

  1. Awhile v. a while
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 24-Jan-2005, 12:27

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •