harvie is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Personal statment for uni

hi i am going to uni next year and about to send off my personal statment. I have showed my friends who say it is ok, but their not going to say its crap even if it was, so i would like your honest opinion. and any spelling errors, does it flow, or make sense. thank you. :

As far as I can remember I have always been fascinated with computers, it is this strong passion I have that lead me to study ICT at A level. My computer skills are excellent, which have developed through my hobbies and interest. By playing multiplayer Role Playing Games, in which I have setup up peer-to-peer and small workgroup networks for network play. At university I hope to expand my knowledge of computing into areas that I have not yet studied. For instance I am keen to learn about how networks are constructed, how to program in different languages and how the languages vary. This degree will give me an extensive range of stimulating career prospects and direct me into the career path that I wish to take.

As part of my A level course I have already had to create a system for an extensive business related problem. Whereby analysing the current system by virtue of keeping in regular contact with my end user has enabled me to design and implement a new solution, where orders can be processed and printed merely by clicking a few buttons. I am currently creating a relational database for a gymnasium that stores information about clients, gym classes and bookings made. I feel that this has already given me a foothold in the world of computers and will help me immensely when I come to do my degree. My brother who has a degree in Computer Systems has inspired to me to reach my goal of getting a degree as I look up to him, and I aspire to follow in his footsteps.
    With this current knowledge and inspiration I feel that I am a strong candidate for this course and hopefully after attaining my degree, I wish to pursue a career in network administration.

In year 12, I was nominated to be the ICT Manager of Menzies High School Young Enterprise Group, a task that I have enjoyed thoroughly and this enabled me to develop my teamwork and communication skills. I have also worked for by a CD manufacture, which has given me some valuable experience in the workplace and trained me into working efficiently and consistently within a team. With this position, I learned how to combine my studies with my private time more efficiently.

During my private time I’ve been visiting the gym on a regular basis for the past three years. By going consistently it sets me in a routine with the rest of the things I do, this helps me to keep mentally and physically healthier.
    Another interest of mine is reading, this ensures that I’m up to date with new technology by reading articles in P.C. magazines. I am currently reading up on Windows Vista and the release of the new Playstation 3. Visiting forums on technology keep me up to date.

My team leadership skills have improved dramatically over the past few years, as in 2006 I was captain of a local football team and during the season we managed to win the league. I felt a huge sense of achievement when being rewarded with a trophy and a medal.

Punctuality and attendance is important to me, as much as putting in the effort. For year 11, I maintained a 100% attendance for the whole year, and got rewarded with a certificate for my effort. I believe the reason to my sharp punctuality is because I am very organised.

I believe that I am a dependable and reliable person who committed to success and I look forward to the opportunity and challenges that university life will provide.

curmudgeon is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Personal statment for uni

As long as I can remember I have always been fascinated with computers; it was this strong interest that lead me to study ICT at A level. I have excellent computer skills, which I have developed through my hobbies and interests. For example, by playing multiplayer Role Playing Games, I have learned how to setup up peer-to-peer and small workgroup networks. At university I hope to expand my knowledge of computing into areas that I have not yet studied; I am keen to learn about network construction, programming in different languages and how the languages vary. This degree course will give me an extensive range of stimulating career prospects.

As part of my A level course I have had the opportunity to create a system for an extensive business related problem. This involved analysing the current system and communicating regularly with the end user to provide a suitable solution to their needs. The end result was a system that enabled orders to be processed and printed simply and efficiently by clicking a few buttons. I am currently creating a relational database for a gymnasium which will store information about clients, gym classes and bookings made. I feel that this has already given me a foothold in the world of computers and will help me immensely when I come to do my degree. My brother, who has a degree in Computer Systems, has been a motivating force in my choice of study.

In year 12, I was nominated to be the ICT Manager of Menzies High School Young Enterprise Group, a task that I have enjoyed thoroughly and this enabled me to develop my teamwork and communication skills. I have also worked for a CD manufacturer, which has given me some valuable experience in the workplace and trained me in working efficiently and consistently within a team. I also learned the importance of managing my studies around my private time more efficiently.

I keep fit by visiting the gym on a regular basis. By going consistently I have developed a regular routine which helps me to keep mentally and physically healthy.
    This year I was captain of a local football team and during the season we managed to win the league. I felt a huge sense of achievement, being rewarded with a trophy and a medal. It also improved my leadership and team working skills.

I keep up to date by reading articles in PC magazines; currently I am very interested in the development of Windows new operating system Vista. I subscribe to technology forums on the internet which also provide valuable information.
    I am confident that my current knowledge and experience will enable me to be successful in attaining my degree and pursue a career in network administration.

I am a dependable and reliable person and I believe punctuality and organization to be very important, as well as application and effort
    I am committed to succeeding and I look forward to the opportunity and challenges that university life will provide

Hope this helps and good luck