Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Hello. Need your help

I'm a new member. Nice to meet you. I'm from Vietnam. My mother language is Vietnamese. I use English as the second language. i'm trying to improve my English. I need yor help for it. Please correct my grammar mistakes as soon as you find. Thank you so much.

curmudgeon is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Hello. Need your help

Quote Originally Posted by sweetheart View Post
    I'm a new member. Nice to meet you. I'm from Vietnam. My mother tongue is Vietnamese. I use English as my second language. I'm trying to improve my English and I need your help.. Please correct my grammar mistakes as soon as you find any. Thank you so much.

Welcome. Your english is not too bad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by curmudgeon View Post
    Welcome. Your english is not too bad.
    Thank you for your help Curmudgeon. I didn't think that I wrote a short passage with a lot of mistakes so. My problems in learning English are listening ans speaking skills. I often listen to BBC in order to improve it but I don't have many opportunities to communicate with native speaker. The place I'm living doesn't have any "professional" foreign language centre. I have to learn English by myself. I find out websites which can help me discuss how to learn English such as usingenglish, englishclub,...etc. But from I joined in this forum, I feel happier and luckier because I have many more native friends and teachers. You can help me correct my mistakes and me understand your cultures more. Thank you so much.
    Don't forget to correct my mistakes as you find any.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your help Curmudgeon. I didn't think that short passage I wrote had so many mistakes. My problems with learning English are developing my listening and speaking skills. I often listen to the BBC in order to improve it but I don't have many opportunities to communicate with native speakers. The place where I live doesn't have any "professional" foreign language centres, I have to learn English by myself. I have found websites where I can discuss ways to learn English such as usingenglish, englishclub etc... But since I joined this forum, I feel happier and more fortunate because I have come into contact with many more native friends and teachers. You can help me correct my mistakes and understand your cultures more. Thank you so much.
    Don't forget to correct my mistakes if you find any.

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re:
    I often listen to the BBC in order to improve it....
    Well, perhaps the BBC could stand some improvement, but probably writing a letter to them would do more than listening to them.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    Re:
    Well, perhaps the BBC could stand some improvement, but probably writing a letter to them would do more than listening to them.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Hello. Need your help

Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    Re:

RonBee, I couldn't understand your meaning "writing a letter to them would do more than listening to them" clearly. Can you explain it?
    Actually, there are many good ways of learning English but it depends on ability of everyone. The way I used just helps me improve my grammar. I want to have a new method which can help me listen and speak English better. Do you think that watching TV or listening to music is one of ways which can improve it? I always find out every opportunity to communicate with foreigners or native speakers.
    Please correct my mistakes if you find any. Thank you so much

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

RonBee is being facetious. Your sentence construction was a little ambiguous. It could be interpreted that by listening to the BBC you would improve the BBC. I know (as does Ron ) that you were referring to improving your English skills

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

RonBee, I couldn't understand your meaning "writing a letter to them would do more than listening to them" clearly. Can you explain it?
    The sentence I was picking at:
    The "it" in that sentence would have to refer to the BBC. I was facetiously pointing out that listening to them would probably have no effect on their broadcasts--that if you wish to improve their programming you should write them a letter.

Actually, there are many good ways of learning English but it depends on ability of everyone.

Unfortunately, one has to guess what "it" is supposed to refer to there. Perhaps:
    There are many good ways of learning English. Each person has to learn in the way that is best for him.
    If a combination of clauses (complex sentence) lacks clarity, it is often a good idea to divide that sentence into two sentences.

The way I used just helps me improve my grammar. I want to have a new method which can help me listen and speak English better. Do you think that watching TV or listening to music is one of ways which can improve it? I always find out every opportunity to communicate with foreigners or native speakers.
    Please correct my mistakes if you find any. Thank you so much
    Perhaps:
    The ways I use help me improve my grammar. I want to find a new method which can help me understand and speak English better. Do you think that watching TV or listening to music are good ways for me to improve my English? I take every opportunity to communicate with speakers of English.
    The methods you are using do seem to be working quite well.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by curmudgeon View Post
    RonBee is being facetious. Your sentence construction was a little ambiguous. It could be interpreted that by listening to the BBC you would improve the BBC. I know (as does Ron ) that you were referring to improving your English skills
    That is right.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast