What part of speech is "all"

Status
Not open for further replies.

khush

What is " all " grammitically?
What is "all" in the following sentence.
we all love our parents.what part of speech all belong here in this sentence to?
Please give me a detail reply .

Khursheed Ahmad Khan

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What is " all " grammitically?
What is "all" in the following sentence.
we all love our parents.what part of speech all belong here in this sentence to?
Please give me a detail reply .

Khursheed Ahmad Khan

"All" can be several parts of speech. I will give you a dictionary listing at the end.

In your sentence, "all" is a pronoun. It restates "we" and acts as an intensifier so that the reader knows that "we" refers to more than just a small group.

all (ôl)
pron.gif

adj.
  1. Being or representing the entire or total number, amount, or quantity: All the windows are open. Deal all the cards. See synonyms at whole.
  2. Constituting, being, or representing the total extent or the whole: all Christendom.
  3. Being the utmost possible of: argued the case in all seriousness.
  4. Every: got into all manner of trouble.
  5. Any whatsoever: beyond all doubt.
  6. Pennsylvania. Finished; used up: The apples are all. See Regional Note at gum band.
  7. Informal. Being more than one: Who all came to the party? See Regional Note at you-all.
n.
The whole of one's fortune, resources, or energy; everything one has: The brave defenders gave their all.
pron.
  1. The entire or total number, amount, or quantity; totality: All of us are sick. All that I have is yours.
  2. Everyone; everything: justice for all.
adv.
  1. Wholly; completely: a room painted all white; directions that were all wrong.
  2. Each; apiece: a score of five all.
  3. So much: I am all the better for that experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.