• Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

usage of 'which'

The legislation signed by the president of the United States George W. Bush, which basically gives gun manufacturers effective immunity from lawsuits over harms caused by their products, also reflects similar attitude, as the article in September / October 2005 edition of Multinational Monitor Gun Makers Get Off suggests, “Under the bill, victims of gun violence would only be able to sue gun makers if they sold a weapon knowing it would be used to commit a crime.”
    I know the whole sentence is rather long and I'm still struggling with its construction, but more than anything, I'm at a loss as to what to use when I want to modify an entire phrase rather than a word. If I use 'which' where I used in above quoted sentence, wouldn't I be modifying George W. Bush and not the entire phrase? is my usage of 'which' fine, or should I use another means if I want to modify the entire phrase, which is "The legislation signed by the president of the United States George W. Bush"?

Oh and if anyone can revise my sentence so that it looks neater and less wordy, I would really appreciate it.
    Last edited by HaraKiriBlade; 30-Nov-2006 at 05:11.

curmudgeon is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: usage of 'which'

Quote Originally Posted by HaraKiriBlade View Post
    I know the whole sentence is rather long and I'm still struggling with the construction, but more than anything, I'm at a loss as to what to use when I want to modify an entire phrase rather than a word. If I use 'which' where I used in above quoted sentence, wouldn't I be modifying George W. Bush and not the entire phrase? is my usage of 'which' fine, or should I use another means if I want to modify the entire phrase, which is "The legislation signed by the president of the United States George W. Bush"?
    Oh and if anyone can revise my sentence so that it looks neater and less wordy, I would really appreciate it.
    Why not omit 'which'
    The legislation, signed by The United States President, George W Bush basically gives gun manufacturers immunity from lawsuits over damage caused by their products. A similar attitude is reflected in an article in the September/October 2005 edition of ?? This bit doesn't make sense?? Is this the name of the publication?entitled 'Gun Makers Get Off' which suggests...

HaraKiriBlade is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

A similar attitude is reflected in an article in the September/October 2005 edition of ?? This bit doesn't make sense?? Is this the name of the publication?entitled 'Gun Makers Get Off' which suggests...
    My bad. The name of the article was originally italicized, but when I did the copy and paste thing, the format got lost. As you rightly guessed, "Gun Makers Get Off" is the title and Multinational Monitor is the publisher.
    Well even with the format I would be still wrong, as I probably needed a word to separate the publisher and the title. 'Entitled' works nicely, thank you very much!

And as for your suggestion about omitting 'which'... your revision means different thing from what I'm trying to get across. I guess my sentence was that confusing, eh? and comes to think of it, I should've included previous sentences for better understanding.

What I'm trying to get across in my sentence is this: The article "Gun Makers Get Off" suggests that the gun immunity legislation demonstrates similar attitude to that of gun manufacturers, whose gun distribution system displays total lack of concern for harms caused by their products.

The gun manufacturer part is the previous sentences I didn't include when asking the question. (I'm such a dumb@$$!)
    Here I shamelessly ask for yet another revision with the new added information. I would truly appreciate your work.
    And I still want to know whether 'which' has to be placed right next to what it modifies and it can only modify one word or it can modify a whole phrase before it. I would be very grateful if you could answer this question. All in all, I thank you very much.
    Last edited by HaraKiriBlade; 30-Nov-2006 at 05:52.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

How about this?
    as the article Gun Makers Get Off in September / October 2005 edition of Multinational Monitor suggests, “Under the bill, victims of gun violence would only be able to sue gun makers if they sold a weapon knowing it would be used to commit a crime.”