Post Thanks / Like

Default Order of Adjectives. (Live Irish music)

I've faced a small problem with rules about order of adjectives. I have such words "live Irish music". This order of words sounds quite natural for me and it is correct according to the keys in a book but I've been trying to understand why this order is correct... And, I have not managed to find an answer that suits me.

The problem is that I don't understand what kind of adjective "live" is in this combination.

The best description I've found is the one provided by Casiopea in the topic http://www.usingenglish.com/forum/as...html#post77697. As soon as I understood from this description, the word "live" could be described as "participles and other adjectives e.g. clever, excited, interesting" (and "Irish" is "proper adjective"). Is it correct?

Thank you.

P.S. I've been trying to read what is written at http://www.fortunecity.com/bally/dur.../gramch21.html but there is so huge amount of information... :) (Before that, I'd studied a dozen other shotter articles.)

MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Order of Adjectives. (Live Irish music)

Quote Originally Posted by dzmitry View Post
    I've faced a small problem with rules about order of adjectives. I have such words "live Irish music". This order of words sounds quite natural for me and it is correct according to the keys in a book but I've been trying to understand why this order is correct... And, I have not managed to find an answer that suits me.

The problem is that I don't understand what kind of adjective "live" is in this combination.

The best description I've found is the one provided by Casiopea in the topic http://www.usingenglish.com/forum/as...html#post77697. As soon as I understood from this description, the word "live" could be described as "participles and other adjectives e.g. clever, excited, interesting" (and "Irish" is "proper adjective"). Is it correct?

Thank you.

P.S. I've been trying to read what is written at English Grammar but there is so huge amount of information... :) (Before that, I'd studied a dozen other shotter articles.)
    In many cases, this is simply resolved by deciding which attribute is more closely related to the noun. "Irish music" is a very specific type. "Live music" can apply to many different types. So it is "live Irish music" rather than the reverse.

mykwyner is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

In this case live means performed on stage as opposed to recorded on disc and played through a sound system. Also, there are many types of Irish music and these adjectives would be inserted between Irish and music.

...live Irish folk music

...live Irish rap music

You can have as many adjectives as you want, but their order should be from the general to the specific.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you. Your answers made it more clear for me.