Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    jiang is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2,671
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default aspect and respect

    Dear teachers,

    The word 'aspect' means ' one part of a situation, problem, subject, etc'. For example:
    Which aspects of the job do you most enjoy?

    The word 'respect' means a particular feature or detail. For example,
    In most respects, the new film is better than the original.

    I think this is confusing. Could you please see if I understand it perfectly?

    aspect: There are several problems concerning life. For example, food, air. Each is the 'aspect' of the problems. Is that right?

    respect: Food is a problem. Some don't have enough food. Others eat rich food. Each is the 'respect' of food problem. Is that right?

    Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Thank you in advance.
    Jiang

  2. #2
    MrPedantic is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2,585
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: aspect and respect

    Hello Jiang

    That isn't quite right.

    An "aspect" is a partial view of something. If a mountain is in front of you, you see one "aspect" of it (you can't see the whole mountain). You can use "aspect" in many contexts, e.g.

    1. There are several disturbing aspects to his character.
    2. One of the most attractive aspects of this book is its fine illustrations.

    A "respect", on the other hand, is a detailed view of something. You tend to find this meaning of "respect" only in certain set phrases, e.g. "in several respects", "in one respect", "in many respects":

    3. In many respects, his character is quite disturbing.
    4. This book is however quite attractive in one respect: it is very well illustrated.

    All the best,

    MrP

  3. #3
    jiang is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2,671
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: aspect and respect

    &
    Dear MrPedantic,

    Thank you very much for your explanation. I understand part of your explanation. But because the Chinese versions of the two are the same so I have to ask two more questions:

    No.1
    There is an example in my dictionary:
    discuss a subject in all aspects. Could you please explain if I can say 'discuss a subject in all respects'?

    No.2
    This book is however quite attractive in one respect: it is very well illustrated.
    Can I say 'well illustrated' is partial characteristics of the book. If I can't does it mean 'aspect' can only refer to ' a person's partial view of something' instead the partial character of something?

    Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Thank you in advance.

    Have a nice weekend.
    Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPedantic View Post
    Hello Jiang

    That isn't quite right.

    An "aspect" is a partial view of something. If a mountain is in front of you, you see one "aspect" of it (you can't see the whole mountain). You can use "aspect" in many contexts, e.g.

    1. There are several disturbing aspects to his character.
    2. One of the most attractive aspects of this book is its fine illustrations.

    A "respect", on the other hand, is a detailed view of something. You tend to find this meaning of "respect" only in certain set phrases, e.g. "in several respects", "in one respect", "in many respects":

    3. In many respects, his character is quite disturbing.
    4. This book is however quite attractive in one respect: it is very well illustrated.

    All the best,

    MrP
    Last edited by jiang; 03-Dec-2006 at 02:21.

  4. #4
    MrPedantic is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2,585
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: aspect and respect

    Hello Jiang

    Sorry, my post wasn't as clear as it might have been!

    1. ...discuss a subject in all aspects.
    2. ...discuss a subject in all respects.

    For #1, you might also hear "discuss a subject in all its aspects" or "discuss all aspects of a subject".

    #2 would be intelligible; but I don't think "in all respects" is very often used in that way.

    No.2
    This book is however quite attractive in one respect: it is very well illustrated.
    Can I say 'well illustrated' is partial characteristics of the book. If I can't does it mean 'aspect' can only refer to ' a person's partial view of something' instead the partial character of something?
    "Aspect" tends to imply "a view of something"; whereas "respects" tends to imply "the things that make up something".

    However, since "a view of something" can also imply "concentration on a particular detail", the two words do sometimes meet:

    3. One attractive aspect of the book is its fine binding.

    4. The book is attractive in one respect: it has a fine binding.

    In #3, we see the fine binding in the context of the book as a whole. In #4, we zoom in on the attractive detail.

    (I'm not sure that has made it any clearer! So let me know if it's still puzzling.)

    MrP

  5. #5
    jiang is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2,671
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: aspect and respect


    Dear MrPedantic,
    Thank you very much for your explanation. I think I understand most of your nation because you really explained them clearly.

    One thing worries me is 'the two words do sometimes meet'. I think you native speakers know when they can meet and when they can't. To us it is difficult. I'll collect more examples to find out how to use them.
    I'd like to explain No.3 and No.4 to make sure I really understand them.
    3. One attractive aspect of the book is its fine binding.

    4. The book is attractive in one respect: it has a fine binding.

    In #3, we see the fine binding in the context of the book as a whole.
    What makes the book attractive is the fine binding. Is that right?
    In #4, we zoom in on the attractive detail.
    It might imply:
    No.1 There are other respects that make the book attractive.
    No.2 Other respects might not be attractive. Is that right?

    Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Thank you in advance.

    Jiang


    Quote Originally Posted by MrPedantic View Post
    Hello Jiang

    Sorry, my post wasn't as clear as it might have been!

    1. ...discuss a subject in all aspects.
    2. ...discuss a subject in all respects.

    For #1, you might also hear "discuss a subject in all its aspects" or "discuss all aspects of a subject".

    #2 would be intelligible; but I don't think "in all respects" is very often used in that way.



    "Aspect" tends to imply "a view of something"; whereas "respects" tends to imply "the things that make up something".

    However, since "a view of something" can also imply "concentration on a particular detail", the two words do sometimes meet:

    3. One attractive aspect of the book is its fine binding.

    4. The book is attractive in one respect: it has a fine binding.

    In #3, we see the fine binding in the context of the book as a whole. In #4, we zoom in on the attractive detail.

    (I'm not sure that has made it any clearer! So let me know if it's still puzzling.)

    MrP

  6. #6
    MrPedantic is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2,585
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: aspect and respect

    Hello Jiang

    3. One attractive aspect of the book is its fine binding.
    4. The book is attractive in one respect: it has a fine binding.

    <In #3...What makes the book attractive is the fine binding. Is that right?..>

    I think it would be truer to say that the book may have other attractive aspects; but the speaker wishes to focus on that particular attractive aspect. For instance, the speaker might have said:

    3a. One attractive aspect of the book is its fine binding. Another is its very clear typeface.

    <...In #4...It might imply:
    No.1 There are other respects that make the book attractive.
    No.2 Other respects might not be attractive. Is that right?..>

    I think I would choose #2 here: the speaker has specified "one respect", which implies that he has found it difficult to discover other respects in which the book is attractive.

    With "aspect", you have the sense that the speaker is walking round an object, and commenting as each new view presents itself.

    With "respects", you have the sense that the speaker is approaching the object every so often with a magnifying glass, and examining details.

    Let me know if it's still unclear it's not an easy difference to grasp, and I'm by no means sure that I grasp it myself!

    All the best,

    MrP

  7. #7
    jiang is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2,671
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: aspect and respect


    Dear MrPedantic,
    Thank you very much for your explanation. Now I see.
    Thank you very much for explaining the difference so patiently.

    Jiang


    Quote Originally Posted by MrPedantic View Post
    Hello Jiang

    3. One attractive aspect of the book is its fine binding.
    4. The book is attractive in one respect: it has a fine binding.

    <In #3...What makes the book attractive is the fine binding. Is that right?..>

    I think it would be truer to say that the book may have other attractive aspects; but the speaker wishes to focus on that particular attractive aspect. For instance, the speaker might have said:

    3a. One attractive aspect of the book is its fine binding. Another is its very clear typeface.

    <...In #4...It might imply:
    No.1 There are other respects that make the book attractive.
    No.2 Other respects might not be attractive. Is that right?..>

    I think I would choose #2 here: the speaker has specified "one respect", which implies that he has found it difficult to discover other respects in which the book is attractive.

    With "aspect", you have the sense that the speaker is walking round an object, and commenting as each new view presents itself.

    With "respects", you have the sense that the speaker is approaching the object every so often with a magnifying glass, and examining details.

    Let me know if it's still unclear it's not an easy difference to grasp, and I'm by no means sure that I grasp it myself!

    All the best,

    MrP

  8. #8
    MrPedantic is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2,585
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: aspect and respect

    You're welcome, Jiang!

    And please let me know if you come across any more puzzling examples.

    All the best,

    MrP

  9. #9
    jiang is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2,671
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: aspect and respect


    Dear MrPedantic,

    I shall let you know if I come across any more puzzling examples.

    Many many thanks!

    Jiang


    Quote Originally Posted by MrPedantic View Post
    You're welcome, Jiang!

    And please let me know if you come across any more puzzling examples.

    All the best,

    MrP

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Hotchalk