Thread: Uppers & Inners

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Uppers & Inners

Hi,

Why do I read in some books words like District Atorney beginning with a capital letter and in other books, words like prosecuting attorney which do not begin with a capital letter?
    I think they're both synonyms, aren't they? They're all in the middle of a sentence so that a capital letter should not be required. Even dictionaries seem to contradict each other.

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Uppers & Inners

A lot will depend on the context. "The District Attorney" is probably referring to a specific office holder, and is his/her honorific title; "the prosecuting attorney" is identifiying that the attorney for the state is the prosecuting attorney, just as the attorney for the defence will be described as "the defence attorney".

MikeNewYork is online now VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Uppers & Inners

Quote Originally Posted by ieasy View Post
    Hi,

Why do I read in some books words like District Atorney beginning with a capital letter and in other books, words like prosecuting attorney which do not begin with a capital letter?
    I think they're both synonyms, aren't they? They're all in the middle of a sentence so that a capital letter should not be required. Even dictionaries seem to contradict each other.
    As Anglika said, "district attorney" cam be a title or a job. When it is a title, it is capitalized; when it is a job, it is not. "Prosecuting attorney" is never a title.

Every county elects a district attorney.
    The District Attorney (for King's County) filed charges this morning.