Thread: Uppers & Inners

• Post Thanks / Like

Cool Uppers & Inners

Hi,

Why do I read in some books words like District Atorney beginning with a capital letter and in other books, words like prosecuting attorney which do not begin with a capital letter?
    I think they're both synonyms, aren't they? They're all in the middle of a sentence so that a capital letter should not be required. Even dictionaries seem to contradict each other.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Uppers & Inners

A lot will depend on the context. "The District Attorney" is probably referring to a specific office holder, and is his/her honorific title; "the prosecuting attorney" is identifiying that the attorney for the state is the prosecuting attorney, just as the attorney for the defence will be described as "the defence attorney".

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Uppers & Inners

Quote Originally Posted by ieasy View Post
    Hi,

Why do I read in some books words like District Atorney beginning with a capital letter and in other books, words like prosecuting attorney which do not begin with a capital letter?
    I think they're both synonyms, aren't they? They're all in the middle of a sentence so that a capital letter should not be required. Even dictionaries seem to contradict each other.
    As Anglika said, "district attorney" cam be a title or a job. When it is a title, it is capitalized; when it is a job, it is not. "Prosecuting attorney" is never a title.

Every county elects a district attorney.
    The District Attorney (for King's County) filed charges this morning.