Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Anonymous Guest

    What does this sentence mean?

    "It has also served to isolate polyester staple prices
    from the upward price pressure that the fluctuations
    downstream in raw materials have justified."

    I think somthing influenced the price of polyester staple did not go up.
    But I can't figure out "...that the fluctuations downstream in
    raw materials have justified."
    what that mean?

  2. #2
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,570
    Post Thanks / Like
    More context might be helpful here. The phrase "fluctuations
    downstream" is one I have not encountered before.

    :)

  3. #3
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    43,627
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downstream means further along the chain- from raw materials to refined materials to products.

  4. #4
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,570
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    Downstream means further along the chain- from raw materials to refined materials to products.
    That helps a little. (I can see now that it's a metaphor.) What about the "fluctuations" part and the "justify" part?

    :)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    12,970
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    Downstream means further along the chain- from raw materials to refined materials to products.
    That helps a little. (I can see now that it's a metaphor.) What about the "fluctuations" part and the "justify" part?

    :)
    I'm still working on polyester staple prices. (staples made from polyester) j/k

  6. #6
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    43,627
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    That helps a little. (I can see now that it's a metaphor.) What about the "fluctuations" part and the "justify" part?

    :)
    I presume that raw materialprices have risen, but polyester staples are not affected by the upward pressure.

  7. #7
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,570
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    Downstream means further along the chain- from raw materials to refined materials to products.
    That helps a little. (I can see now that it's a metaphor.) What about the "fluctuations" part and the "justify" part?

    :)
    I'm still working on polyester staple prices. (staples made from polyester) j/k
    That's another one I don't know. What's a polyester staple?

    :wink:

Similar Threads

  1. Are the 5 basic sentence patterns sacred?
    By infinikyte in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 28-Aug-2009, 22:52
  2. Dear MikeNewYork... sentence fragment
    By wendy in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-Mar-2009, 10:50
  3. grammar
    By jiang in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 17-Dec-2003, 20:02

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •