Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    61
    Post Thanks / Like

    Question doubt on how to address people

    Is there any difference of writing:

    Dr. John Doe and Mrs Susan Doe / Dr and Mrs John Doe

    Is there any difference of meaning? Does the way of how the names were written show difference of marital status ? Like the woman has keeps the husband last name but not a couple anymore despite of Mrs ?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    14,685
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: doubt on how to address people

    Quote Originally Posted by dinha View Post
    Is there any difference of writing:

    Dr. John Doe and Mrs Susan Doe / Dr and Mrs John Doe

    Is there any difference of meaning? Does the way of how the names were written show difference of marital status ? Like the woman has keeps the husband last name but not a couple anymore despite of Mrs ?

    Thanks!
    If they were not a couple any more, it is unlikely that you would send them a joint letter. I would use the latter of your two choices.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    61
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: doubt on how to address people

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    If they were not a couple any more, it is unlikely that you would send them a joint letter. I would use the latter of your two choices.
    thank you !! I actually donīt know their marital status , i saw the way their names were written and it was the first : dr John doe and Mrs susan Doe
    Thatīs my doubt

  4. #4
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    14,685
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: doubt on how to address people

    Quote Originally Posted by dinha View Post
    thank you !! I actually donīt know their marital status , i saw the way their names were written and it was the first : dr John doe and Mrs susan Doe
    Thatīs my doubt
    The first isn't incorrect. It is unusual, in my experience.

Similar Threads

  1. maturita 1 - lifestyles and hobbies
    By Lenka in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-Jul-2009, 13:08
  2. 'the people of the city' or 'the people in the city'
    By YOSHITAKEHORI in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 22-Jan-2006, 14:41
  3. The people who get on in this world
    By Aaron in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 14-Dec-2005, 05:44
  4. Psychotheray paper Please correct
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 17-Dec-2003, 21:28

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •