Thread: A few questions

Pure_Oxygen is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow A few questions

Hello all - this is my very first post

This is a very long post though - it comes from my exam and because we just get our exam scripts back, I can't ask questions on why I got this wrong etc.

So here goes.

Here is the comprehension

Resting on it’s L`oreals

08 October 2006
    Barry Ronge

If you haven’t heard the term ’ethical consumerism’ before, relax, because here are some examples of what it means to buy things made ethically. - this is not counted as a paragraph.

The trendy phrase "ethical consumerism" has always sounded like a contradiction in terms. Like the verbal equivalent of a magician’s trick, where a bold flourish or a loud noise distracts the audience’s attention from a deceptive switch, so that when the result of that switch is revealed, we all think it is a magical event. - P1

Anita Roddick founded The Body Shop in 1976, on a tide of morally uplifting "green business" jargon. Her business would nurture the environment, just as her products, all natural and not tested on animals, would nurture your skin and your soul, depending on where you applied them. Thirty years later, Roddick has sold The Body Shop to cosmetic giant L’Oréal for £652-million (R9-billion) a sum that brings the heartening reassurance that sometimes ethical consumerism can pay almost as much as organised crime does. P2

The L’Oréal corporation is not beloved of the world’s eco-activists and many Internet voices have expressed a sense of sadness and disillusionment about what they call "The Body Shop sell-out." P3

L’Oréal insists it is nothing of the sort. In an official press release it asserts "the acquisition of The Body Shop would broaden L’Oréal’s existing portfolio, adding a complementary brand with a strong identity and values. L’Oréal is committed to preserving and upholding those values. Dame Anita Roddick will remain in her current role as a consultant to The Body Shop and has accepted L’Oréal’s invitation to become a consultant." - P4

The environmental lobby is calling it a "greenwash", the application of an attractive external coating to conceal the weathering underneath, and they are calling for a boycott. - P5

Will it materialise? It seems unlikely. The tree-hugging "friends of the Earth" who so fervently embraced The Body Shop concept back in 1976 have never really been a cornerstone of the international fashion trade. Have you ever seen a conservationist in a couture frock? - P6

The Body Shop’s strawberry body wash was a great favourite of mine, as was that wonderful coconut-scented brilliantine and its various vanilla-scented products. They made me feel both posh and virtuous in my bathroom, a room not notably associated with virtue of any substantial kind. L’Oréal assures me that nothing will change. I’ll have to wait till my next shopping excursion to see if my heart offers me a similar assurance. - P7

Q: In your own words, briefly explain what is implied about "ethical consumerism" in paragraph 1?

It's an oxymoron. 'Ethical' and 'consumerism' can't exist together. It is a lie, but which beauty companies advertise in order to get more sales from people who care about the environment. How can consumerism, with its unethical nature, be ethical? - I got 0/2 marks for that.

Refer to Paragraph 6.

Q: Why does Ronge feel that environmental lobby's call for a boycott of the Body Shop is unlikely to materialise? [3]

* The environmentalists are a minority [If they weren't, L'Oreal wouldn't be successful]
    * Most people care about fashion and not how it was made, so when say, Britney Spears advertises the new L'Oreal cream, people will flock to buy it
    * Conservationists arn't fashionable

Possible Marks - 1/3

Q: How was Ronge made to "feel both posh and virtuous"?

The Body Shop's strawberry body wash as well as the 'wonderful coconut-scented brilliantine and its various vanilla-scented' products. - 0/2 for that

Q: Do you consider this article to be positive, negative or balanced regarding the take-over of the Body Shop by L'Oreal? You ust give a reason for your answer

Balanced. He shows both sides of the arguments regarding the take-over [L'Oreal and the environmentalists] and he says: "I'll have to wait till my next shopping excursion to see if my heart offers me a similar assurance' showing that he's still indifferent about the take-over, and will need to see whether the products will change to make an informed opinion. - 1/3 marks for the effort

This is a advertisement blurb on the back of a bird book

Avid bird watchers know their cuckoos from their coucals. But whenever they're in doubt, they turn to what is, undoubtedly, the definitive guidebook - Newman's Birds of Southern Africa. The sponsorship of Ken Newman's inimatable work is one of many innovative Sappi initiatives to protect and promote South Africa's bountiful natural heritage. The new revised edition is now available at leading bookstores countrywide.
    There is a play on two words with the same root in the text of the advertisement. Write down the words and then comment on their clever usage.

'Cuckoos' and 'Coucals'. It's clever because there's a saying in English that goes "He know his _____ from his ______". - 0/3 for that effort.
    __________________________________________________ ____________

There is little doubt that the temperature of the Earth's atmosphere is rising. The last decade was the warmest of the century. And the last century was warmest of the Millenium. AS the evidence for global warming accumulates, so too does support for the theory that the underlying cause is our release of too many greenhouse gases.

In this compelling book, Fred Pierce weighs up the evidence for global warming, examines its probable impact on our climate, landscapes and ecosystems, and sets out what we can do to prevent it.

Essential Science guides use a stimulating mix of lively illustrations and expert, jargon-free text to explain the most important scientific topics of the day - more clearly than ever before.
    Identify two examples of emotive language that have been used in this back-cover blurb.

"Lively illustrations" and "Stimulating mix" - again 0/2. Don't have a clue why not.
    __________________________________________________ ________

"The author has amassed evidence from all over the world to support his apocalyptic thesis"

This is an example of a

A - Phrase
    B - Simple sentence
    C - Complex sentence
    D - Compound

Thanks for your help in advance!!!
    Last edited by Pure_Oxygen; 05-Dec-2006 at 08:27.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: A few questions

The spacing is a bit tricky- I'm not sure if what you posted shows exactly the same paragraphs as the original. If it does, for example, then the first paragraph makes no mention of the oxymorinic nature of the temr. If the paragraph continues, then it states that it is an apparent oxymoron, not a real one. So, it's hard to answer your doubts exactly. The second question refers to paragraph six, but the answer is found further on. Could you check this please; it would make it easier to answer your questions. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I've made the necessary changes :)

Post Thanks / Like

Come on guys, please help!!!!

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll start: your first answer does not reflect the text, but gives a personal opinion. The text talks of 'sounding like a contradiction' and you expand this into calling it an oxymoron and a lie.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

2 You say conservationists aren't fashionable. I think the text means that they are not very influencial on the fashion industry, which is far more influenced by the wealthy who can afford couture. Your point about Britney Spears is not in the text- you're giving your own opinion again, not referring to the content of the text.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    I'll start: your first answer does not reflect the text, but gives a personal opinion. The text talks of 'sounding like a contradiction' and you expand this into calling it an oxymoron and a lie.
    So what would the answer be?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

That's your job; you try writing an answer that reflects the content of the text, that gives the idea of the seeming contradiction.

Q3 Here the key words are posh, which comes from the scent, and virtuous, which comes from buying ecologically sound prodcts- you need to ink the keywords to the points- secent and source.