Post Thanks / Like

Default Correct language and wording

Hello...thank you for allowing me to join your forum.

I am a member of a Homeowners Association and in Architechtural Rules and Regulations it reads:

"As of February 1,2001, plastic, vinyl or temporary sheds or storage units will not be allowed. Existing structures in this category, (in existence prior to February 1, 2001) may stay as long as they remain in good condition. Replacement at a later date is not allowed."

The way I read this is "plastic, vinyl or temporary sheds or storage units will not be allowed."

I have installed two wooden storage cabinets on my patio. They are both permanently affixed. The HOA is saying that I am in violation of the above as their wording "plastic, vinyl or temporary" means sheds or storage units of any kind.

I say if that is what they mean they need to change the wording to reflect that, and to say "plastic, vinyl or temporary sheds or storage units of any kind will not be allowed" because the way it is written now leads one to believe that as long as the shed or storage unit is not plastc, vinyl or temporary it will be allowed.

I hope I have explained this well enough and would appreciate your definition and clarification on which would be the correct wording.

MikeNewYork is online now VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Correct language and wording

Quote Originally Posted by moodstruck View Post
    Hello...thank you for allowing me to join your forum.

I am a member of a Homeowners Association and in Architechtural Rules and Regulations it reads:

"As of February 1,2001, plastic, vinyl or temporary sheds or storage units will not be allowed. Existing structures in this category, (in existence prior to February 1, 2001) may stay as long as they remain in good condition. Replacement at a later date is not allowed."

The way I read this is "plastic, vinyl or temporary sheds or storage units will not be allowed."

I have installed two wooden storage cabinets on my patio. They are both permanently affixed. The HOA is saying that I am in violation of the above as their wording "plastic, vinyl or temporary" means sheds or storage units of any kind.

I say if that is what they mean they need to change the wording to reflect that, and to say "plastic, vinyl or temporary sheds or storage units of any kind will not be allowed" because the way it is written now leads one to believe that as long as the shed or storage unit is not plastc, vinyl or temporary it will be allowed.

I hope I have explained this well enough and would appreciate your definition and clarification on which would be the correct wording.
    Based on the wording you have posted, I have to agree with you.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your reply. I am taking it to the Architectural Committee office tomorrow and will let you know if they will take the word of a teacher.

moodstruck

curmudgeon is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

In England, no planning consent is required for wooden sheds as they are classed as temporary buildings. I think you will lose your argument as temporary covers everything. They are guilty of misleading you but...

MikeNewYork is online now VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by curmudgeon View Post
    In England, no planning consent is required for wooden sheds as they are classed as temporary buildings. I think you will lose your argument as temporary covers everything. They are guilty of misleading you but...
    In the US, things that are affixed to the sructure are not usually considered temporary. These bans on temporary structures were developed to protect the assocation from damages if the structures blow around in a storm.