• Post Thanks / Like

"One level removed" and "One level added"

Dear Teacher,

Reading the book "The Dilbert's Principle" I have found an expresion that I think I understand, but I'd rather to feel sure of the meaning. It is "One level removed". I uderstand that is about something that can be removed without a negative effect. I would have written "one level removable", but it says "One level removed". I think that Scott Adams knows what he writes.

Best wishes.

Hector.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: "One level removed" and "One level added"

Quote Originally Posted by Albino View Post
    Dear Teacher,

Reading the book "The Dilbert's Principle" I have found an expresion that I think I understand, but I'd rather to feel sure of the meaning. It is "One level removed". I uderstand that is about something that can be removed without a negative effect. I would have written "one level removable", but it says "One level removed". I think that Scott Adams knows what he writes.

Best wishes.

Hector.
    I think you've probably misunderstood the meaning of the phrase. The word 'removed' in this context really means 'distant from'. A common use is to describe a second or third cousin, as in "he was my cousin once removed." That is, he was the son of the cousin of my mother or father.

Another example would be: "The decisions of management are one level removed from the daily decisions of the workers."

• Post Thanks / Like

Coffa,

Thank you very much. Today I learnt two things; one about relatives and the other about a management concept. I wouldn’t have ever guessed this meaning of the word ‘removed’.

Again, thank you.

Hector.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Dutch
      • Home Country:
      • Belgium
      • Current Location:
      • Belgium

• Post Thanks / Like

"The decisions of management are one level removed from the daily decisions of the workers."
    To me, what is written here is perfectly understandable.
    Management decisions can have farther-reaching consequences than those made by workers.

The former on the other hand would have puzzled me completely if I should have encountered it in a text.

One to store!

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

Also 'one level added' is normally said as 'one level above'

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Miner49'er View Post
    To me, what is written here is perfectly understandable.
    Management decisions can have farther-reaching consequences than those made by workers.

The former on the other hand would have puzzled me completely if I should have encountered it in a text.

One to store!
    The nuances of the cousin terminology continue to confuse me. I checked afterwards, and it is not precisely as I described, though the principle is unchanged. This URL may be useful for those interested:

Cousins Explained

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Dutch
      • Home Country:
      • Belgium
      • Current Location:
      • Belgium

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coffa View Post
    The nuances of the cousin terminology continue to confuse me. I checked afterwards, and it is not precisely as I described, though the principle is unchanged. This URL may be useful for those interested:

Cousins Explained
    Difficult!

But better than in the Flemish language.
    Here we speak about "achter achter achter neef" for a second cousin once removed.
    My wife is an expert in these matters. Myself, I'm losing track if any relationship is farther away than "next of kin"
    What I will retain for myself is "the greater the number the farther away"