Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Johnny's Avatar
    Johnny is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    74
    Post Thanks / Like

    Question Give him the slip

    There's an idiom GIVE HIM A SLIP in english.

    I don't know if I can say Give you a slip, or give them a slip.

  2. #2
    riverkid is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,063
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Can I change this idiom?

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    There's an idiom GIVE HIM A SLIP in english.

    I don't know if I can say Give you a slip, or give them a slip.
    Johnny,

    I think that the idiomatic phrase you probably mean is,

    Give him the slip.

    It means to lose somebody on purpose, to escape their prescence often thru trickery or deceit.

    If this is the one you mean then, yes, you can replace 'him' with any of the other object pronouns, subject of course to it being semantically sensible.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    163
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Can I change this idiom?

    riverkid is right, and of course, it should be mentioned that:

    "I gave him a slip"

    means that you probably gave him some nice women's pajamas!

    cheers

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    212
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Can I change this idiom?

    Quote Originally Posted by riverkid View Post
    Johnny,

    I think that the idiomatic phrase you probably mean is,

    Give him the slip.

    It means to lose somebody on purpose, to escape their prescence often thru trickery or deceit.

    If this is the one you mean then, yes, you can replace 'him' with any of the other object pronouns, subject of course to it being semantically sensible.
    Hi,
    I can not find the word 'Prescence' in my dictionary, could you pls explain to me what the word and the phrase 'to escape their prescence' mean here?
    Thanks.
    Ian

  5. #5
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    43,939
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Can I change this idiom?

    = presence (typo)

  6. #6
    Johnny's Avatar
    Johnny is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    74
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Can I change this idiom?

    Yes, apparently it's a typo. But it doesn't block us from understanding Riverkid

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,553
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Can I change this idiom?

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Yes, apparently it's a typo. But it doesn't block us from understanding Riverkid
    Apparently, it stopped wuwei from understanding riverkid. But let's not make a big fuss about it: typing errors can happen to anybody. Tdol clarified, end of story.

Similar Threads

  1. Give and Please
    By dinha in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-Dec-2006, 17:48
  2. Give me a minute
    By amigo in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 20-Oct-2004, 12:15
  3. Give in X Give up
    By apparrode in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 30-Apr-2004, 00:40
  4. Give in X Give up
    By apparrode in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-Apr-2004, 00:28

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •