Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    danytouch is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile what is the difference between " used to" and "would"?

Hello,

I am a new member . I would like you tell me what is the different using " used to and would " in the past.

Thanks and regards,

Dany

Post Thanks / Like

Re: what is the different " Used to and Would "

"Would" is used for any repeated action in the past. "Used to" is for past habits which continued for a long time.

There were telling signs that he'd had too much to drink that night. On finishing his beer, he would stumble to the bar and order another. (The action was repeated, but only on that one night, so we can't say "used to".)

I remember Mac. He used to come here every Friday and order a pint of bitter and, for some reason, a lemon and lime. (This was Mac's usual habit, probably over a period of many years.)

a_3 is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm confused by the meaning of would when talking about past. For example, what's the difference of "yesterday he came here" or "yesterday he would come here"? Is it that when the happening were kind of unexpected or not so usual, then it would be better to use "would"?

MikeNewYork is online now VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by a_3 View Post
    I'm confused by the meaning of would when talking about past. For example, what's the difference of "yesterday he came here" or "yesterday he would come here"? Is it that when the happening were kind of unexpected or not so usual, then it would be better to use "would"?
    One would not use "would" in that sentence with "yesterday". It is difficult to imagine a one-day habit.

Ten years ago, he came here. (one time)
    Ten years ago he would come here (often). (repeated action)

a_3 is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I guess it makes more sense now. Thanks!

MikeNewYork is online now VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I guess it makes more sense now. Thanks!
    You're welcome.

riverkid is offline Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

It is possible to use 'would' in such a sentence, a_3. But this 'would' shows a different modal meaning, not a past tense, not a repeated action. Here it holds a meaning like, "that's something that you expect him to do".

"Yesterday! He would come here/He would do that/ That's his character/manner/habit/etc.

danytouch is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rewboss View Post
    "Would" is used for any repeated action in the past. "Used to" is for past habits which continued for a long time.

There were telling signs that he'd had too much to drink that night. On finishing his beer, he would stumble to the bar and order another. (The action was repeated, but only on that one night, so we can't say "used to".)

I remember Mac. He used to come here every Friday and order a pint of bitter and, for some reason, a lemon and lime. (This was Mac's usual habit, probably over a period of many years.)
    Thank you so much for your reply my post. I am happy. Now i understand. Hope you don't mind me because my English is not so good, Wish you good luck ...

Best regards,
    Dany

Post Thanks / Like

Hello guy, when you use "would", you´re talking about some possibility.
    Eg
    I would like to stop smoking.

You didn´t stop smoking yet, but you think you need to stop.

When you use "use to", you´re telling about something you already did, but you don´t do anymore.
    Eg
    I used to smoke when I was twenty years old.

See ya

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: what is the difference between " used to" and "would"?

hello..this is isogi, a new member..i'd like to answer the question about the diffference between 'would' and 'used to'.

as far as i know, when would is used, we use a specific period of time in the past where the certain action often happened..e.g'.when i was young,i WOULD GO TO THE BEACH AND SWIM every summer vacation'.

...'EVERY SUMMER VACATION' is the specific period of time in the past.

whereas, 'used to' is used with or without the specific period of time in the past..e.g..."when i was young, i used to go to the beach and swim.

i hope it helps you understand the difference...even a bit..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast