• Native Language:
      • Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand
    Post Thanks / Like

Default the theory goes...

I don't understand when and why people say "the theory goes". What does it mean? Pls give me some samples for better understanding.

By the way, John Lennon said (or sang) "Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see". Does it mean it is easy to live with eyes closed, need not to understand everything you see?

One more question, do you know the difference between involvement and commitment? People say to think of eggs and ham. The chicken is involved. The pig is committed. Does it mean the chicken just lays eggs without obligation (she wouldn't be killed if no eggs been laid) but pig is KILLED to make ham 'coz it's HIS responsibility, I mean pig is supposed to be human's food. so pig has commitment or duty to die to be ham. Is this a good example for this comparison?

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: the theory goes...

With reference to Lennon's comment - if you go around with your eyes closed, you need never become involved in anything because you will not be able to see what is required of you.

As to the pig and chicken - The hen/chicken is involved because she lays the eggs; the pig on the other handis committed because he has to die to provide the pork.

MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: the theory goes...

Quote Originally Posted by beeja View Post
    I don't understand when and why people say "the theory goes". What does it mean? Pls give me some samples for better understanding.

By the way, John Lennon said (or sang) "Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see". Does it mean it is easy to live with eyes closed, need not to understand everything you see?

One more question, do you know the difference between involvement and commitment? People say to think of eggs and ham. The chicken is involved. The pig is committed. Does it mean the chicken just lays eggs without obligation (she wouldn't be killed if no eggs been laid) but pig is KILLED to make ham 'coz it's HIS responsibility, I mean pig is supposed to be human's food. so pig has commitment or duty to die to be ham. Is this a good example for this comparison?
    You will hear "as the theory goes". This means "according to the theory".

Someone might be discussing the Theory of Evolutuion and might say, "As the theory goes, evolution is only possible because of the mutation of genes."