James' mother or James's mother?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pensby

Member Type
Other
When using a possessive apostrophe for names that end in 's', e.g. James, should it be "James' mother" or "James's mother"? I was taught "James'", but in the Eat Shoots and Leaves book, it says that it is now "James's", but this looks wrong. Help please, thank you.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
When using a possessive apostrophe for names that end in 's', e.g. James, should it be "James' mother" or "James's mother"? I was taught "James'", but in the Eat Shoots and Leaves book, it says that it is now "James's", but this looks wrong. Help please, thank you.

There are many scheems for handling the possessives of singular words/names ending in s.

1. Always add 's.
2. Add 's to words of one syllable; add just an apostrophe to words of two or more syllables.
3. Add 's only if you pronounce it as an additional syllable.
4. Add 's unless the additional syllable would result in a repetitious sound (as with Jesus, Moses, Xerxes, etc.)

I was taught #2, but in the past few decades, most style guides I have consulted have switched to #1. This is probably the clearest method.

savedhamlet554

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
I learned James' myself as the word ends with an 's' therefore apostrophe only.

According to up to date grammar books that we use in school, though, it is James's.

the concierge

Member Type
English Teacher
Why the confusion?

It's correct to write the word as you say it.

So you might say It's James's car.

Try saying it and you'll see you need to put the 's

Say we are talking about a plural word - girls. It ends in s and we are talking about 2 or more girls ok?

If you want to say It's the girls' bedroom - listen to how you say it and you will know whether to use the extra s or not.

girls's -
doesn't sound right does it?

Member Type
English Teacher
Thank you for clearing this up for me as I was taught that if there's an s and the end of the word then the apostrophe follows the s. such as in a plural noun or a name, like Carlos´ but as you said it depends on how it is pronouned. You do say, "It's Carlos's car" not "Carlos´car":)

Searching for language

Member Type
Other
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Canada
Thank you for clearing this up for me as I was taught that if there's an s and the end of the word then the apostrophe follows the s. such as in a plural noun or a name, like Carlos´ but as you said it depends on how it is pronouned. You do say, "It's Carlos's car" not "Carlos´car":)

In Canada it would be Carlos's car. If you don't pronounce the second 's' it would indicate that the name is Carlo, not Carlos.

I am not a teacher.

Status
Not open for further replies.