Unregistered Guest

Angry please review my sop... please

i am posting my statement of purpose for mastewrs in engineering management please critique it... thanks in advance
    Statement of Purpose

It’s a spark that ignites a fire. It’s an idea that leads to “the next big thing”
    I have always believed in the power of ideas. Coming from an engineering background, I have always been fascinated by the application of ideas to the betterment of our lives. Shaping a great idea into a reality requires a diverse range of skills and intimate knowledge in both engineering and management. Hence I strongly believe that technology coupled with efficient management is what it takes for a company to excel.

Like every student even I was at the crossroads when I had to choose my undergraduate course. Being a creative, research oriented individual it was my apparent choice to pursue Bachelor of Technology with specialization in Biotechnology. The reason for choosing Biotechnology was due to its multi- disciplinary course structure which enabled me to indulge in courses from biological sciences, chemical engineering, pharmaceutical engineering, food science, computer science engineering, environmental engineering and other engineering departments. I was fascinated by the plethora of career opportunities the field of biotechnology had to offer in various industries such as pharmaceutical, food, agriculture, biomedical, nanotechnology, bioinformatics and the list continues. My propensity for bringing out innovative ideas suited this field as Biotechnology rides high on the waves of innovation that is used for improvement of our lives.

My technical undergraduate studies have been an integral part of my intellectual development. I was able to get valuable training in various chemical and biotechnological lab practices. I was enthusiastic about the practical sessions because they have helped me to hone my analytical and logical skills I learnt not only about the various techniques, but also how patience and rigorous compliance to the protocol can yield desired results. It also made me realize how truly this applies to everyday life. As a freshman I was privileged to be selected as the Student Representative by my batch mates, the reason I believe is my sociable nature which has evolved over the years during which I was schooled at different locations due to the nature of my father’s occupation. My schooling in Kuwait posed an opportunity to interact with students from different countries and I was able to learn about their culture, traditions and customs, thanks to my inquisitiveness. The global exposure during my childhood has made me adaptable to any type of circumstance. In today’s world, to succeed one must be adaptable, and my flexibility has been one of the key attributes for my success at various phases of my undergraduate studies.

Being a Student Representative for two consecutive years I was elected as the Executive Member of the Department consisting of more than 900 students comprising of the seniors, sophomores and freshmen .My victory would not have been possible without the help of my batch mates which made me realize the significance of the post and the great responsibility tied to it. During my tenure as the executive member I took up the initiative to form the SRM Biotechnology Association which was inaugurated by Dr. Christopher. R. Lowe, the Head of Biotechnology Department, Cambridge University. I am very grateful to the college management for giving me a chance to interact with one of the renowned scientists in the field of Biotechnology.
    Being the Executive of the department I also proposed the need for conducting a national level technical symposium “Blitzkrieg” which was readily accepted by the college management. I took charge of the technical and organizing committee and recruited several sophomores and freshmen to work with me and my fellow seniors in coordinating various events. It was a gratifying experience as I got a chance to network with participants and faculty from other Universities. The other duties that I had accomplished include coordinating the Open House and I also took up the mantle of organizing an industrial visit–right from its inception, to execution, to getting permissions from industries, to organizing the travel and stay facilities with the help of the faculty and management to enhance the industry-institution interaction. I also volunteered to be the department’s representative to the placement cell where I was entrusted with the responsibility of information management, ascertaining the reach of information to every student who had registered with the placement cell. These duties made me consider a future career in the management sector of an industry as I enjoyed taking up responsibilities, meeting deadlines, working in a team and leading it as well.

When I realized my interest in management, I began to orient myself towards It by regularly doing part-time jobs for Prakruthi Foundation where I worked as a part of their event management team in organizing events such as “ONE Billion Eyes”-The1st.’ Annual Indian Documentary Film Festival and also the well known “Citizen’s Run”-Chennai City Marathon which was held for a charitable cause .During my stint as a member of the marketing team for the “One Billion Eyes” for which me and my fellow team mates had to acquire sponsorships for the event which seemed to be an insurmountable task since this was the first time the event was being organized, so I suggested the idea of inviting celebrities which automatically led to sufficient inflow of sponsors as well as public. This event was one of the most memorable events in my life because I had a chance to rub shoulders with great personalities and interact with the head honchos of companies who were sponsoring the event. I was truly inspired by the way they managed their financial and human resources. Similarly, I was part of the organizing and promotion team for “Citizen’s Run” where I learnt a great deal from my superiors on how to promote a product efficiently (t-shirts, which were to be bought and worn for participating in the marathon race) I was able to achieve the target of selling 10 t-shirts a day for 10 days and was just short of achieving the target for 5 days. I was well appreciated for my efforts. In spite of the fact that these events were being held during regular college days I was able to juggle efficiently between work and academics ensuring equal dedication to both without compromising the quality of commitment I had towards them. I enjoyed shouldering responsibilities and confronting challenges which I believe are the key forces that propelled me towards achieving excellence.

My aim of pursuing master’s in engineering management was further fortified during my final year when I took a course on industrial management and economics which exposed me to the theories of management and its principles, financial statements, accounting principles, supply and demand , engineering and environmental ethics .In my final semester which I am currently undertaking, my unanimous choice of elective was Industrial management-II where I would be introduced to various decision making strategies, operations management, project management, marketing management, financial management. I am sure that these subjects will give me a strong fundamental foundation in engineering management.

My interest in this area was not inadvertent; rather it was pre-meditated and well executed keeping in mind my goal of becoming a corporate head. In today’s world every corporate head is mostly a business graduate with an engineering background. My career objectives were framed carefully weighing my dreams and their feasibility, as I believe in having SMART (Specific Measurable Achievable Relevant and Time bound) goals. Now with good experiences, technical know-how and a flair for management I intend to become a techno commercial manager few years down the line, where I can use the skills I learnt to motivate my team members and enhance overall efficacy. My long term goal is to be an entrepreneur or to be placed high up the corporate ladder and to be involved in the decision making and planning processes of an organization. I want to become a dynamic engineering manager who can not only motivate others but also inspire fellow engineers and become a role-model for others to follow. I believe that the sense of pride and satisfaction of driving an industry is an irreplaceable joy.

A master’s degree in Engineering Management was the answer to my quest once I decided to pursue my graduate studies. It was after a good amount of introspection that I decided on a program which is tailored to emphasize on both technology and management would be best suited for me. After extensive research I found that the Engineering Management program could “bridge the gap between what I am and what I aspire to become”. The roles and responsibilities of a manager are multi-faceted and diversified involving an equally balanced approach to time and people management capabilities to meet the stringent deadlines within the limitations of human force. Business at present operates under a complex environment and the skills required for managing have been increasing tremendously and this definitely makes the need for a master’s degree more compulsive.

An international master’s degree from a Renowned University would be a value addition to me in terms of improving my credentials. I find the program very impressive since it gives students to choose courses based on their goals and aspirations. Apart from these reasons the chance to interact with people from diverse backgrounds with burning ambitions would in itself be an enormous learning experience. I am certain that when I complete my masters from (university) I will be armed with the right knowledge that will help me attain my goal.

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: please review my sop... please

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    It’s a spark that ignites a fire. It’s an idea that leads to “the next big thing”
    I have always believed in the power of ideas. Coming from an engineering background, I have always been fascinated by the application of ideas to the betterment of our lives. Shaping a great idea into a reality requires a diverse range of skills and intimate knowledge in both engineering and management. Hence I strongly believe that technology coupled with efficient management is what it takes for a company to excel.
    Say:
    Shaping a great idea into reality requires a diverse range of skills and intimate knowledge of both engineering and management.
    So far, so good.

(Answers will be posted in the forum, not e-mailed. If you register, you can be notified when an answer is posted.)

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Like every student even I was at the crossroads when I had to choose my undergraduate course. Being a creative, research oriented individual it was my apparent choice to pursue Bachelor of Technology with specialization in Biotechnology. The reason for choosing Biotechnology was due to its multi- disciplinary course structure which enabled me to indulge in courses from biological sciences, chemical engineering, pharmaceutical engineering, food science, computer science engineering, environmental engineering and other engineering departments. I was fascinated by the plethora of career opportunities the field of biotechnology had to offer in various industries such as pharmaceutical, food, agriculture, biomedical, nanotechnology, bioinformatics and the list continues. My propensity for bringing out innovative ideas suited this field as Biotechnology rides high on the waves of innovation that is used for improvement of our lives.
    Say:
    Like every student, I was at a crossroads when I had to choose my undergraduate course. Being a creative, research oriented individual, it was my choice to pursue a Bachelor of Technology with specialization in Biotechnology.
    Why did you choose to use "plethora"?

~R

heartcracker is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

thanx a lot ronbee ..no one was willing to review my sop...none of the people i kno are tht good in english...thanks a lot .. can u please tell me whether my sop is good enuf ??? i used the word plethora ...cos i wanted to say abundant ...lots of ..something like tht.... hey can u rate my sop out of 10 ...
    Last edited by heartcracker; 10-Dec-2006 at 19:28.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

It looks pretty good. I haven't read the whole thing yet. (It's pretty long.) I am going to take a break from posting. I will read more of the SOP and post more comments. Be a little patient.

Last edited by RonBee; 13-Dec-2006 at 03:13. Reason: fix embarrassing spelling mistake

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

My technical undergraduate studies have been an integral part of my intellectual development. I was able to get valuable training in various chemical and biotechnological lab practices. I was enthusiastic about the practical sessions because they have helped me to hone my analytical and logical skills I learnt not only about the various techniques, but also how patience and rigorous compliance to the protocol can yield desired results. It also made me realize how truly this applies to everyday life. As a freshman I was privileged to be selected as the Student Representative by my batch mates, the reason I believe is my sociable nature which has evolved over the years during which I was schooled at different locations due to the nature of my father’s occupation. My schooling in Kuwait posed an opportunity to interact with students from different countries and I was able to learn about their culture, traditions and customs, thanks to my inquisitiveness. The global exposure during my childhood has made me adaptable to any type of circumstance. In today’s world, to succeed one must be adaptable, and my flexibility has been one of the key attributes for my success at various phases of my undergraduate studies.

Say:
    My technical undergraduate studies have been an integral part of my intellectual development. I was able to get valuable training in various chemical and biotechnological lab practices. I was enthusiastic about the practical sessions because they helped me to hone my analytical and logical skills. I learnt not only about the various techniques, but also how patience and rigorous compliance to the protocol can yield desired results. It also made me realize how truly this applies to everyday life. As a freshman, I was privileged to be selected as the Student Representative by my batch mates. The reason for that was, I believe, my sociable nature, which has evolved over the years during which I was schooled at different locations due to the nature of my father’s occupation. My schooling in Kuwait posed an opportunity to interact with students from different countries and I was able to learn about their culture, traditions and customs, thanks to my inquisitiveness. The global exposure during my childhood has made me adaptable to any type of circumstance. In today’s world, to succeed one must be adaptable, and my flexibility has been one of the key attributes for my success at various phases of my undergraduate studies.
    AE: learned

~R
    Last edited by RonBee; 11-Dec-2006 at 00:33.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Being a Student Representative for two consecutive years I was elected as the Executive Member of the Department consisting of more than 900 students comprising of the seniors, sophomores and freshmen .My victory would not have been possible without the help of my batch mates which made me realize the significance of the post and the great responsibility tied to it. During my tenure as the executive member I took up the initiative to form the SRM Biotechnology Association which was inaugurated by Dr. Christopher. R. Lowe, the Head of Biotechnology Department, Cambridge University. I am very grateful to the college management for giving me a chance to interact with one of the renowned scientists in the field of Biotechnology.

Say:
    Being a Student Representative for two consecutive years, I was elected as the Executive Member of the Department consisting of more than 900 students comprising the seniors, sophomores and freshmen. My victory would not have been possible without the help of my batch mates, which made me realize the significance of the post and the great responsibility tied to it. During my tenure as the executive member I took the initiative to form the SRM Biotechnology Association, which was inaugurated by Dr. Christopher. R. Lowe, the Head of the Biotechnology Department, Cambridge University. I am very grateful to the college management for giving me a chance to interact with one of the renowned scientists in the field of Biotechnology.
    Being the Executive of the department I also proposed the need for conducting a national level technical symposium “Blitzkrieg” which was readily accepted by the college management. I took charge of the technical and organizing committee and recruited several sophomores and freshmen to work with me and my fellow seniors in coordinating various events. It was a gratifying experience as I got a chance to network with participants and faculty from other Universities. The other duties that I had accomplished include coordinating the Open House and I also took up the mantle of organizing an industrial visit–right from its inception, to execution, to getting permissions from industries, to organizing the travel and stay facilities with the help of the faculty and management to enhance the industry-institution interaction. I also volunteered to be the department’s representative to the placement cell where I was entrusted with the responsibility of information management, ascertaining the reach of information to every student who had registered with the placement cell. These duties made me consider a future career in the management sector of an industry as I enjoyed taking up responsibilities, meeting deadlines, working in a team and leading it as well.
    Say:
    Being the Executive of the department, I also proposed the need for conducting a national level technical symposium, “Blitzkrieg”, which was readily accepted by the college management. I took charge of the technical and organizing committee and recruited several sophomores and freshmen to work with me and my fellow seniors in coordinating various events. It was a gratifying experience as I got a chance to network with participants and faculty from other universities. Another duties that I had performed included coordinating the Open House, and I also took up the mantle of organizing an industrial visit–right from its inception, to execution, to getting permissions from industries, to organizing the travel and stay facilities with the help of the faculty and management to enhance the industry-institution interaction. I also volunteered to be the department’s representative to the placement cell where I was entrusted with the responsibility of information management, ascertaining the reach of information to every student who had registered with the placement cell. These duties made me consider a career in the management sector of the industry as I enjoyed taking up responsibilities, meeting deadlines, working as part of a team and leading it as well.
    What do you think? Any comments?

~R

Post Thanks / Like

thank you..thank you ...thank you,,,thanks a ton for correcting my mistakes... u are doin such a selfless job... thanks a lot.. do u think i should cut down my sop.. can u tell me if it is well organizied... thanks a lot

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Overall it looks pretty good. As you know, here and there I thought there were some things you could improve upon. Hopefully, you will find my suggestions helpful. I don't know that you need to cut anything. However, if you think you need to make it shorter there are some places where you could do some trimming. Offhand, I don't think you need to shorten it.

~R

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for your comments... thanks for your help::)