Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: verb tense

  1. #1
    Anonymous Guest

    verb tense

    Why is "I am thinking she likes you," grammatically wrong?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    12,970
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: verb tense

    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Why is "I am thinking she likes you," grammatically wrong?
    There's nothing wrong with using the verb 'think' in the progressive/continuous:

    I'm thinking. (an act)

    However, in cases where the verb 'think' is used as a synonym for 'believe', a state of mind, that's when we run into trouble.

    I think she likes you = I believe she likes you. (a state)

    All the best,

  3. #3
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,570
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anna: I am thinking.
    Bob: What are you thinking?
    Anna: I am thinking she likes you.

    :wink:

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    12,970
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    Anna: I am thinking.
    Bob: What are you thinking about?
    Anna: I am thinking she likes you.

    :wink:
    It's still ungrammatical. :(

    Anna: I'm thinking about what you said. I think she likes you.

    :D

  5. #5
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,570
    Post Thanks / Like
    It may be ungrammatical, but I believe it is natural speech. (I'm beginning to sound like Milkerman. )

    :)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    12,970
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    It may be ungrammatical, but I believe it is natural speech. (I'm beginning to sound like Milkerman. )

    :)
    'think' is stative, 'thinking' is dynamic. By 'natural', do you mean making stative verbs into dynamic has been done before (e.g. *I am liking you, Ronbee. *You are being liked by me)?

    :D

  7. #7
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,570
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    It may be ungrammatical, but I believe it is natural speech. (I'm beginning to sound like Milkerman. )

    :)
    'think' is stative, 'thinking' is dynamic. By 'natural', do you mean making stative verbs into dynamic has been done before (e.g. *I am liking you, Ronbee. *You are being liked by me)?

    :D
    Something like that. :)

    Here's an example:
    • I'm lovin' it.


    :wink:

Similar Threads

  1. noun phrases
    By sting in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26-Aug-2004, 22:52
  2. as if vs. verb tense
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16-Jul-2004, 11:52
  3. english grammar
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 17-Oct-2003, 16:27
  4. Subject of a verb
    By Anonymous in forum Linguistics
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 14-Oct-2003, 08:10

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •