• Post Thanks / Like

Can I say these?

(1)I was in the same case as you. When I just came to this university, instead of TM Dormitory, I lived in 14th Dormitory, where eight of us lived in a room and usually postgraduate live.

(2)How about your video class? You sit together watching a English movie and then you exchange your views on it under a foreign teacher's guide? Is there anything else?

(3)Can I join your oral English class? You are all English majors and not at the same level as me. I'm afraid that I cannot find anyone I can speak with, which will make me very embarrassed.

(4)The first thing annoys me in TM Dormitory is that they have no power restriction at all--you can use electricity all night long. Some with computers stay up playing computer games, which ruins the atmosphere of learning and makes me can't sleep well.

Thanks a lot.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can I say these?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    (1)I was in the same case as you. When I just came to this university, instead of TM Dormitory, I lived in 14th Dormitory, where eight of us lived in a room and usually postgraduate live.
    Try:
    • I was in the same situation as you. When I had just started at the university (or: "when I had just started living on campus"), instead of TM Dormitory, I lived in 14th Dormitory, where eight of us lived in a room where usually postgraduate students live.

(2)How about your video class? You sit together watching a English movie and then you exchange your views on it under a foreign teacher's guide? Is there anything else?
    That looks good to me. :)

(
    (3)Can I join your oral English class? You are all English majors and not at the same level as me. I'm afraid that I cannot find anyone I can speak with, which will make me very embarrassed.
    I would change that just a little. Try:
    • Can I join your oral English class? You are all English majors and not at the same level as me. I'm afraid that I cannot find anyone I can speak with, which makes it hard for me to improve my English skills.

(4)The first thing annoys me in TM Dormitory is that they have no power restriction at all--you can use electricity all night long. Some with computers stay up playing computer games, which ruins the atmosphere of learning and makes me can't sleep well.
    • The main thing that annoys me about TM Dormitory is that they have no power restriction at all --you can use electricity all night long. Some with computers stay up playing computer games, which ruins the atmosphere of learning and makes it hard for me to sleep.

I would add, "They make too much noise!" But that's just me.

:wink:

What do you think?

:)

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by "RonBee

• Can I join your oral English class? You are all English majors and not at the same level as me. I'm afraid that I cannot find anyone I can speak with, which makes it hard for me to improve my English skills.

I am always confused between me and I. Should it be "Not at the same level as I (am)?

BMO

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bmo
    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee

I am always confused between me and I. Should it be "Not at the same level as I (am)?

BMO
    That would also be good there. The use of me there would be considered less formal, but they are both acceptable. IMO.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like
    IMO = in my opinion

• Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, RonBee. "They make too much noise" exactly express what's on my mind. And

I'd like to know whether there is some power restriction on dormitories in the

US?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, RonBee. "They make too much noise" exactly express what's on my mind. And

I'd like to know whether there is some power restriction on dormitories in the

US?
    I really don't know, but I imagine the rules on that sort of thing vary from place to place.