Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: two qs

  1. #1
    Progress is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    319
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default two qs

    How would you recognize what words the word late in the following sentence modifies, spring or spring and summer?
    In the sentence, is it ok to use the word times instead of the word time?

    While late spring and summer are the most populat times to visit the area, there are those who prefer to come here in the off season.

    Thank you very much.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    12,971
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: two qs

    Quote Originally Posted by Progress View Post
    How would you recognize what words the word late in the following sentence modifies, spring or spring and summer?
    In the sentence, is it ok to use the word times instead of the word time?

    While late spring and summer are the most populat times to visit the area, there are those who prefer to come here in the off season.

    Thank you very much.
    Period 1: The last week(s) of spring (late spring).
    Period 2: June, July, August (summer).

    Plural: Those two periods are the most popular times.
    Ex: While late spring and summer are the most popular times...

    Singular: That entire period of time is the most popular time.
    Ex: While late spring and summer is the most popular time...


    Additionally,

    Ex: While late spring and summer are the most popular time (of the year)...

    Hope that helps.

  3. #3
    Progress is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    319
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: two qs

    Thank you very much, Casiopea. I see. But sometimes one ajectcive modifies two nouns as the pattern "adj noun and noun." It is difficult for me to distinguish which word(s) the adjective modifies. Any suggestion?

    In your example "while late spring and summer are the most popular time of the year" , are and time are used. BIG WHY??? It is really confusing and that is my question How should I understand and use it.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    12,971
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: two qs

    Quote Originally Posted by Progress View Post
    Thank you very much, Casiopea. I see. But sometimes one ajectcive modifies two nouns as the pattern "adj noun and noun." It is difficult for me to distinguish which word(s) the adjective modifies. Any suggestion?
    Sure. First, could you offer a few examples?

    Quote Originally Posted by Progress
    In your example "while late spring and summer are the most popular time of the year" , are and time are used. BIG WHY??? It is really confusing and that is my question How should I understand and use it.
    Ex: Together they form the most popular time of the year... .

    There is one particular time of the year that is popular, and it's a consecutive period: late spring and summer.

    Hope that helps.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •