Thread: Hello to all!

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Hello to all!

Hi, I'm new to the group. I really like this website because its so interactive. I'm currently a U.S.-er and was originally born in the Philippines. My mother is from Philippines and my father from the U.S. I've been mostly raised here in the States with the stadard AE accent that my father has taught me, but I also think that the BE standadrd accent (even the Welsch BE) is more convincing, fluid, and musical to my ears (IMHO). I've read a discussion forum (forgot exactly which thread or section), but it said something that you should stick with the accent that you were raised with and that accent defines your character.
    Well, I totally disagree. I think that with lots of practice and learning and "doing your research", one can easily get by with a new or different accent. The beginning may be rocky at first, but after much practice, I think one could literally become a "lingual chameleon"--always changing colours to best suit the crowd or situation. Then again it all basically boils down to whatever you're comfortable with. However, I don't think it will hurt to try something new or challenging. What do you guys think?

Red5 is offline Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hello to all!

I don't think it hurts to try and develop an accent as close as possible to the native accent. That's what I try and do (I said 'try'). However, I don't think that a language learner should feel disappointed if they can't achieve that. I see many students on these forums who talk as if they have failed if they can't master the accent and I see that as unnecessary. For me the main aim when I try learning another language is to master the ability to talk to someone in that language, and if I can do that with a reasonable accent then that's even better.
    Red5
    Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com

sangui is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hello to all!

I agree. To master several accents is not a bad thing. Sometimes it could become so funny that you make others laugh. You make them happy.