• Post Thanks / Like

How is the topic and thesis?Please help!

Hi teachers and members,
    I have to write an essay for my anthropology class. Its topics can be language, culture, race etc. I am going to write about languages in New York City. Should I write a thesis sentence like this: Language drives the diversity of social groups. I mean language influences how we get into a social group....like immigrants have their own communities, enclaves in NYC (Italian town, Chinatown)...

ummm..hope you can understand my question.
    What do you think about my sentence? Do you have any other topics on language(and/ immigrants) that are interesting to you? Please help...
    Thank you.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: How is the topic and thesis?Please help!

• Post Thanks / Like

Thank Casiopea for giving me the websites. I think making a thesis is really difficult...it can't be too board or too specific. I wrote another thesis statement:Variety of shifts especially language shift across generations have reflected the way immigrants adapt to the English culture.
    Can you tell me what you think about it??Is it strong enough?...in my essay can I desribe about different generations and their language use...and show there is a language shift across generations?

• Post Thanks / Like

Just a thought - wouldn't you be safer writing about something to do with your own environment? Hong Kong has an amazing history and there must be something that you could discuss - After all there has been 100 years of two cultures living side by side, and now there must be another culture shift taking place.

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joanna49 View Post
    Thank Casiopea for giving me the websites. I think making a thesis is really difficult...it can't be too board or too specific. I wrote another thesis statement:Variety of shifts especially language shift across generations have reflected the way immigrants adapt to the English culture.
    Can you tell me what you think about it??Is it strong enough?...in my essay can I desribe about different generations and their language use...and show there is a language shift across generations?
    Joanna, I like your thesis statement. Try something shorter,

Language shifts across generations reflect the way immigrants have adapted to English culture.

I agree with Anglika. Write about something you know.

• Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, Anglika and Casiopea. I will consider the ideas you gave me. :)

• Post Thanks / Like

You're most welcome.