Anonymous Guest

Default are there any run on sentences in this paragraph?

One day, my friend told me that his younger brother got suspended because he got into a fight with another classmate. I was laughing hysterically when my friend told me that his brother got suspended because he wanted to try a new fighting move on a classmate that he just saw on TV the other night. However, after some deep thought, I knew it wasn’t a joking matter. His brother was only six years old and yet, he is watching violence on TV he shouldn’t be watching at that age. This incident has made me realize how big of an impact television can have on children and adolescents. As a result, I want to gain a better understanding on the topic. By obtaining greater source of knowledge, I can make a difference the way television is brought into our society.

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

No run-on sentences. :)

(Better than By obtaining greater source of knowledge would be By obtaining greater knowledge or By learning more or By learning more about the subject or By learning more about the matter.)

:)

MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: are there any run on sentences in this paragraph?

Quote Originally Posted by tofu20
    One day, my friend told me that his younger brother got suspended because he got into a fight with another classmate. I was laughing hysterically when my friend told me that his brother got suspended because he wanted to try a new fighting move on a classmate that he just saw on TV the other night. However, after some deep thought, I knew it wasn’t a joking matter. His brother was only six years old and yet, he is watching violence on TV he shouldn’t be watching at that age. This incident has made me realize how big of an impact television can have on children and adolescents. As a result, I want to gain a better understanding on the topic. By obtaining greater source of knowledge, I can make a difference the way television is brought into our society.
    This sentence is not a run-on, but it is a problem:

I was laughing hysterically when my friend told me that his brother got suspended because he wanted to try a new fighting move on a classmate that he just saw on TV the other night.

It says that he saw the classmate on television instead of the wrestling move. One must be careful with the placement of multiple descriptive phrases.