• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The meaning of "the rest of the planet"

The question is: what does “the rest of the planet” mean or refer to in the following sentences?

It is very difficult to explain this phrase to non-native speakers of the English.. It seems that in the blue sentences below, the referent of “the rest of the planet” is much more vague than in the green sentences. In the green sentences, we have a clear referent, such as arctic vs. the rest of the planet, as in How will it all affect the Arctic--and the rest of the planet? But in “most people and the rest of the planet” (system of domination and exploitation designed to benefit a small number of elite humans at the expense of most people and the rest of the planet.), the rest is harder to pinpoint. Is it true that the phrase (the rest of the planet) refers to nature, particularly environment? In other words, is this phrase gradually being changed into an idiom?

Thanks in advance for your insight.

Ian2

system of domination and exploitation designed to benefit a small number of elite humans at the expense of most people and the rest of the planet.

Inconvenient Truths (for Al Gore and the Rest of the Planet)

If all we ever worry about is money, then we humans are going to pollute
    I think Quinn is right when he says that no reform program will heal the rift between humans and the rest of the planet

We are also responsible to our children and the rest of the planet for how well we manage our land now and for the future

God help us and the rest of the planet

to achieve a new equilibrium between our species and the rest of the planet

Sea ice and glaciers are melting, permafrost is thawing, tundra is yielding to shrubs. How will it all affect the Arctic--and the rest of the planet?

can produce a just society in which all can enjoy the fruits of their labor in peaceful harmony with their environment and the rest of the planet

He's recruited several students to help him on his way, and the rest of the planet can only sit and watch.

Yet with each passing day, the gap between the US and the rest of the planet widens.
    Arctic Climate Change (ACIA report summary) - How will Arctic warming affect the rest of the planet?

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: The meaning of "the rest of the planet"

In some of those in green, I think the meaning is literal, not idiomatic. With the Arctic, there are local issues, such as the impact on the Inuit, animals, and the region in general, but a meltdown there has global implications. With the example of America, I think it's literal again, as a unilaterlaist approach does automatically set that state in contrast with the rest of the world; maybe not every single state, but it does stand apart.
    With the example of the recruitment of students, then it is an idiomatic usage, implying everyone else around those recruited.

With the examples in blue, I think the title one with Al Gore, could e idiomatic- separating Mr Gore from everyone else. the others seem fairly literal to me- the planet can be voiwed from different angles- different states, different species, etc.

ian2 is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks lot.

Ifeel it a courtesy to reply to thank you. But I also know that this will add the amount of messages. What should we do in this case when you are helped by someone?

Ian2

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    In some of those in green, I think the meaning is literal, not idiomatic. With the Arctic, there are local issues, such as the impact on the Inuit, animals, and the region in general, but a meltdown there has global implications. With the example of America, I think it's literal again, as a unilaterlaist approach does automatically set that state in contrast with the rest of the world; maybe not every single state, but it does stand apart.
    With the example of the recruitment of students, then it is an idiomatic usage, implying everyone else around those recruited.

With the examples in blue, I think the title one with Al Gore, could e idiomatic- separating Mr Gore from everyone else. the others seem fairly literal to me- the planet can be voiwed from different angles- different states, different species, etc.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Wait for the next person to reply. When you reply, the thread goes back to the top of the list, so people coming in are more likely to see it. If no one answers for a day or two, then choose 'Bump Thread' from the Thread Tools menu, which will put it back at the top of the list.

ian2 is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post

Tdol,

Just want to make sure my understanding of your explanation is correct:

Do you mean that the sentence means it was at the expense of the most people and anything other than the most people, which are the earth, the environment, the animals, all the things other than the most people? In other words, the contrast expressed by the word "rest" is between the most people and anything other than the most people?

Thanks in advance.

Happy New Year!

Ian2