Post Thanks / Like

Default whether the invoices for the following Delivery Orders issued or not

Dear Teacher,

What should be after "issued or not" in the following sentence? Is it a question mark or a Full Stop (Period)?

Kindly let us know whether the invoices for the following Delivery Orders issued or not. (Is it a "?" or ".")

Sweetie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: whether the invoices for the following Delivery Orders issued or not

It requires a period. Try,

Ex: ...whether or not the invoices for the following delivery orders were issued.

Dr. Jamshid Ibrahim is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: whether the invoices for the following Delivery Orders issued or not

Quote Originally Posted by sweetie_sneha View Post
    Dear Teacher,
    What should be after "issued or not" in the following sentence? Is it a question mark or a Full Stop (Period)?
    Kindly let us know whether the invoices for the following Delivery Orders issued or not. (Is it a "?" or ".")
    Sweetie
    This is not a direct question so no question mark is needed. The verb is in the passive so verb to be"is" or "are" is needed before issued:
    Kindly let us know whether the invoices for the following delivery orders have already been issued (better submitted or made out) or not.

I changed the tense to present perfect because present is relevant here.
    Last edited by Dr. Jamshid Ibrahim; 25-Dec-2006 at 13:10.

Ouisch is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

This is simply a difference of style, not grammar, but whenever I required information such as this, I would ask for specific details, letting the recipient know that I presume he has already done the task. For example:

Kindly advise the invoice numbers and dates for the following delivery orders:

This way the recipient will either supply the information, or he will realize he's delinquent in issuing invoices and will attend to the matter promptly.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot to everybody who answered my question.

Sweetie

Post Thanks / Like

You're most welcome, sweetie_sneha.